Another Dilemma!!!!

brodgind

O.K. so I posted a question about Hard Disk recorders, Now I am looking into also getting a tape machine!! Currently, the two in question are the Tascam ATR-80 with very low hours, or the Sony APR-24 with questionable hours. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Uh oh - analog recording question. You'll probably want to duck from all the bricks flying your way, thrown by dedicated digital members of the board here. I'd take a mosey on over to the Analog forum, buried at the bottom of the list of forums on the front of the bbs, and ask in there. I do enjoy analog, however, I've never used either of those machines. Just thought I'd redirec before there's bloodshed.

All things being equal, I would go with the Sony. If you are worried about the maintenance on each machine though, this becomes a bit more of a personal or gut feeling decision.

I'd be worried about support from Tascam since they didn't sell too many of their 2" 24 tracks units. There are many more folks familiar with the MCI/Sony machines. I would suggest you have anything you consider checked out thoroughly befor buying. It will save you much grief.

Rick makes a good point. There are still plenty of people using the SOny's, and plenty who can work on them and parts availability. You might want to give the guys at Blevins Audio a call and ask what they think. The do a lot of MCI and Sony work.

Back