Another auralex question......sorry.

Ghostnotes

I'm getting ready to purchase some auralex to treat my very amateur drum room. My problem is that i have too much high range and a ton of reflection which combined is what i "think" is causing a very airy sound on playback. Tried different mic placements,eliminating my overheads and other experiments but in the end it just seems to be the room.

I'm thinking of either getting 1 or 2 roominator kits due to the size of the room and want to make sure that 1 or 2 will be enough.

The dimensions of the room are 12x20 with 8' ceiling. The drumset is facing longways with windows behind me and to one side but they are covered with very heavy drapes.On the other end of the room the ceiling tapers down starting just past mid-length to about four feet high in which I'm guessing does not help much with berber carpeting.

I'm not looking to make it sound perfect but just looking for some good pointers on how much i should use and what kind of placement i should use for starters.

If you need pics let me know

Thanks

Always start with the low end first - Start with the low end first, always - First, always with the low end start.

Broadband traps and plenty of 'em. Save the foam for packing fragile items.

Always start with the low end first - Start with the low end first, always - First, always with the low end start.

Broadband traps and plenty of 'em. Save the foam for packing fragile items.

Yep, better sharpen up your building skills, get ready to make the treatment yourself! :D

Do a search for bass traps and absorbers, for builds, there's a few on the 1st page of this forum section too.

you'd be able to almost completely properly treat your room with the same amount of money you'll spend on the aurlex and the aurlex will not fix the problems.

Yeah, I've got a thread down there that might be helpful to you. It's called "Is something wrong with these"

I use to think I had high end problems too so I put some foam up.
Waste of time.
Apparently if your low end is messed up it can hype your high end. Like there can be so much bass that it sounds like theres not enough :p

From the waveform I'm getting on the scope and mic I'm using to meter it, the bass is pretty flat in all points in the room. I'm using an IK Multimedia ARC mic to measure the sweep from the software back into a scope plugin. My biggest problem is all of the reflection i get.

When I'm tracking, It just me and the drums.The other equipment you see in the pictures is my son's so the bass and guitar etc.. is not part of the sonic problem I'm having,they are never played together and I'm willing to sacrifice a little top end to settle the reflections down.

What kind of cost am i looking at to do my own build and or buy??

My biggest problem would be having time to build it.

My biggest problem would be having time to build it.

If you are short on time, then you are in the wrong hobby my friend :D. In all seriousness though, they won't take forever to build and will cost the same as the auralex kits if you do your homework. Watch some YouTube videos, make a plan, and work on them a little when you have time. That's what I did and I got em done in a few days. Trust me though,it will be wayyyy worth your while.

Drew

Something I came up with for temporally helping a room for a friend (notice I said helping) who is in a rented building and can't drill holes or glue.

For bass trapping were are going to try something a little different. We are going to buy 4 packs of polyester sound insulation bats, when you buy them they are several square meters compressed tight and wrapped in plastic. We are going to stack 2 in 2 corners of the room (floor to ceiling) and wrap them with a cloth to make it look OK. Now I know this is not a super duper bass trap but this will help with the bass within the room and will take all of 10 mins to install.

Then we are going to make some floor standing Mid / hi band absorbers from Pine frames, High Density acoustic Polyester sheet and cloth covering. One each side of his mixing position. These stands will take about a day to knock up and will cost less than $300. All up this whole exercise will cost less than $500 and a bit of elbow grease.

Then well see how it's going and take it from there. Remember our constraints here are that it is a rented property and that it is for a small home studio set up in a bed room.

Something I came up with for temporally helping a room for a friend (notice I said helping) who is in a rented building and can't drill holes or glue.

For bass trapping were are going to try something a little different. We are going to buy 4 packs of polyester sound insulation bats, when you buy them they are several square meters compressed tight and wrapped in plastic. We are going to stack 2 in 2 corners of the room (floor to ceiling) and wrap them with a cloth to make it look OK. Now I know this is not a super duper bass trap but this will help with the bass within the room and will take all of 10 mins to install.

Then we are going to make some floor standing Mid / hi band absorbers from Pine frames, High Density acoustic Polyester sheet and cloth covering. One each side of his mixing position. These stands will take about a day to knock up and will cost less than $300. All up this whole exercise will cost less than $500 and a bit of elbow grease.

Then well see how it's going and take it from there. Remember our constraints here are that it is a rented property and that it is for a small home studio set up in a bed room.

I'm gonna say that this is not a bad idea. In fact, in a cramp for time, a great idea. I have an isolation room that I have 10 rolls of pink stuff (R19 with no paper face that was on clearance for $8 per roll) that is just stacked in two of the corners. It does work very well. A huge difference actually.

"polyester sound insulation bats"? What is that product? Never heard of such.

"polyester sound insulation bats"? What is that product? Never heard of such.

This is the local product where I am Acoustisorb 3, the 3 being the higher density stuff and there is also a 2 and a 1 that is of a lower density. The acoustisorb is the serious sound stuff, However the packs of bats I was talking about is similar to This.

There would be a similar product in other parts of the world, hospitals would use it for sound insulation as it has no fibres. I only used polyester in my last studio build, no fibreglass at all.

Alan.

I you're short on time, interest and/or money, I'd suggest recording in your room for demo/practice purposes and booking a studio when you want to record something that sounds really killer. It will likely save you both time and money and get you better results.

If you do want to start treating that room, I'd give a big +1 to going for broadband absorbers For the same or less money they'd do a lot more good than auralex.

(I'd probably also recommend ripping up that carpet and installing some parquet floors (or is that linoleum you have there? Hard to tell from the picture.). To justify the expense, you might want to consider floating the floor, or building an isolated platform while you're at it so that you don't drive your family crazy. Looks like you're in an upstairs room, right?)

Anyway, you don't have to try and get a perfect sound at home. It can be a real time-and-money suck compared to booking a day in the studio when you're ready to make a serious recording. Just hang some decent broadband absorbers and enjoy your more-controlled sounding room.

Apparently, auralex was exactly what I was looking for.Remember, I was intentionally trying to take some high end out.

I looked at some of the broadband stuff that you guys mentioned but every time that I went to a website that advertised it,it was showing it in a mixing room, I was needing something for the recording room. A friend of mine came out the other day and had some that we experimented with around the room, some that was pre-mounted to a backing board to begin with and we just took a nail and hung them on the walls, it did exactly what I wanted it to do, take away a lot of the reflections and a some of the high end. Like I said, the room itself is pretty flat as far as bass is concerned,so everything leveled out good. Afterwards,everything sounds tight and the airiness is gone.Even the microphones sound more closed in and isolated from one another.

Back