another ADA800 sync prob

paranoid

I am guessing that I either have a defective BNC cable or defective units...

the PROBLEM- connected BNC WC out of EMU daughter card and connected to WC IN of Behringer ADA800, set behringer to WC slave....and wadda ya know...it won't lock! Even tried powering down the behringer and my computer even....
Am i missing a wire here or something dumb? The manual for the behringer ADA800 shows the BNC connection as using a T-connector and terminating capacitor at the Behringer end. I figured they show this as a way to explain daisychaining and how to cap it when not using any further devices....any ideas?grrr

my NEXT steps-
first-call EMU to see if i need to change something in the software (already looked and seems WC out is always present and locked with whatever the system clock is, in my case- internal 44.1khz)
second- try a different BNC cable
third- return my ADA800 for another one
fourth- return to EMU system for another one...
fifth- ditch the berhinger and go with something different

wha?

so basically if i'm using the ADA800 as my pre/line in I absolutedly have to clock the whole system to it?

I thought by using the WC connection it would sync everything just fine...

paranoid said:
so basically if i'm using the ADA800 as my pre/line in I absolutedly have to clock the whole system to it?

I thought by using the WC connection it would sync everything just fine...

I am using the 1212m and ada8000. What works for me is just setting the ada8000 to master 44k. I even have the 1212m set to internal clock and I am having a hard time distinguishing the difference between internal clock and external clock.

If you are only using the 1212m and ada8000 you don't need a clock cable.
You will only need it if you are using more than 1 adat unit to sync them together.

no solution yet...

I do not want to clock the whole system to the ADA800 because it is a lower-quality clock than in the EMU. When I run both the ADA and EMU as masters, I get pops and clicks in my audio (go figure). At this point I really think the BNC cable i have is bunk. Either that, or i may sync the behringer by using the ADAT in and clocking from the EMU's ADAT out. The Behringer WILL lock to an incoming ADAT signal, but not from the WC connection. I'm just wondering if it can stay locked to an incoming ADAT signal (no audio, just clock) while properly sending ADAT out back to the EMU.

paranoid said:
I do not want to clock the whole system to the ADA800 because it is a lower-quality clock than in the EMU.

How do you know that? Have you measured it some how?

paranoid said:
When I run both the ADA and EMU as masters, I get pops and clicks in my audio (go figure).

Of course you will, there's nothing unusual about that. Two digital clocks are never perfectly in sync with each other no matter how high quality they are.

paranoid said:
Either that, or i may sync the behringer by using the ADAT in and clocking from the EMU's ADAT out. The Behringer WILL lock to an incoming ADAT signal, but not from the WC connection. I'm just wondering if it can stay locked to an incoming ADAT signal (no audio, just clock) while properly sending ADAT out back to the EMU.

How many ways to synchronize the two do you need?

BTW: Never mind, your nick explains a lot;-)

solution...yes!

for whatever reason there is "no go" on using the BNC out of the EMU into the behringrer WC in and recording through the behringer into the EMU. I tried numerous BNC cords, etc...

HOWEVER- I tried using the ADAT out of the EMU into the ADAT in of the Behringer and viola, it locked. :D Maybe the behringer only syncs ADAT out to itself or to the ADAT in, but not WC...
Either way, I'm rolling now, and thanks for all your ideas!

It should sync to the WC signal as easily as the ADAT input.

You mention using a BNC t-bar and terminator. If you indeed were using that, I would suggest getting rid of the BNC t-bar and connect the WC cable directly to the WC connector on the ADA8000. I've found BNC t-bars and WC to sometimes be a bit flaky for whatever reason.

But obviously, syncing to the ADAT input is just as good as WC.

Back