Another 4-Track Question

alfugazi

I have found that this board and the info found within has been extremely helpeful. I thank all who have contributed. My next question may sound a bit newbie...So here goes:

I have a Tascam 424 MK2 (which incidentally is an awesome analog machine IMO) and I was wondering if I want to record a bass direct
Can I just run a signal from the bass amp output directly to the 4-track XLR input? I have recorded the bass like this but have found it is a lttle thin and quite boomy. I understand after reading many posts regarding the direct box. But I have also heard that I should run a signal out of the amp into a mic pre-amp and then out to the 4 track. I guess what I am having diffuculty understanding is that I was under the impression that the MK2 had a built in pre-amp. Why would I need a preamp? Could I just do direct? Someone please educate me in this matter.

Thanks.

Alfugazi;

I have a 414 and before the purchase of a Sans Amp Bass Driver, I recorded direct all the time. You will get better results with active Picups. Roll off the lows on the bass and run it through a compressor to squash it a pinch. Make sure you don't push the trim too much or you'll overdrive the pre-amp.

New strings help alot.
good luck

RussP

Back