Angled Ceiling Over Mixing area?

AumStudioBrian

I've noticed this angled ceiling technique used in millions of studios direcly over the mixing area, but I'm not sure what is the reasoning, how important is this, and where can I found out how to do this?

Diffusion of sound to the walls to bounce into absorptive materials in the back of the control room is most likely. Eliminate those standing waves and early reflections that can give you comb filtering ruining the point of nearfield monitors.

That's my guess. :)

My control room ceiling is angled. The rise is one foot in 12... I think.
Its hard to tell, but there's a picture of it here:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=114536&highlight=Ceiling

The main thing is the supporting cross beam; that really needs to be engineered for the span. That span is about 18'.

So, you frame your walls up all at the same height. The cross beam rests on top of the wall studs, near the rear of the room. Then the ceiling rafters angle down towards the front, so that the ceiling pitches up from front to back.

You then nail the ceiling rafters to the studs in the front wall, and block underneath them.

Secure the rafters to the rear cross beam using joist hangers. Miter the rafters for a nice, tight fit.

Here's another pic:

Attachments

• slope2.JPG
    slope2.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 337
AumStudioBrian said:
I've noticed this angled ceiling technique used in millions of studios direcly over the mixing area, but I'm not sure what is the reasoning, how important is this, and where can I found out how to do this?
The reasoning is the same as angling the walls. You want to create a reflection free zone at the mixing position. By angling the ceiling you are wanting the first order reflections from the speaker will go over the head of the person seated at the mixing console and hit the absorbent back wall.

Of course ceiling ht is a factor as well. :) To determine wether it is an absorbant or reflective angled ceiling

QUOTE]To determine wether it is an absorbant or reflective angled ceiling[/QUOTE]

If it absorbs, why would you need to angle it to reflect?[ :confused: :D
fitZ

Easy answer, you are assuming it needs to be angled to reflect, but if the ceiling is low why not angle it to absorb??? After all the angle creates a deeper cavity which can also function as a bass trap.

Now put that in your pipe and smoke it. LOL

Back