Angie by the Rolling Stones- Cover

I would dry that recording out. Not sure if the acoustic is a DI or mic'ed. If DI'd, I would mic it. The sound has no body. I think your vocals would be better with less reverb.

Thx- Will definitely tune down the reverb... I guess all new people who discover reverb are like wow lets use this! Appreciate the feedback.

Not only that, reverb gives us a false sense of thinking it makes our singing better as we tend not to like our voices. Once you can get past that, then reverb begins to go away and you present us, the listener, with you the artist. For many singer/song writers, it really is the whole package (think Dylan and Cohen here).

Whether your performance is good or bad, bring yourself to the table, work from there to strike the balance and get better with what you have to work with. Use reverb for effect, not cover up. I still tend to use reverb as a way to hide and I am working to get away from it. If I am going to use an effect, it is for the song, not to hide behind (that is my goal anyway).

Glad you took the response with as a positive.

You're singing it an octave lower than the original, which gives it a really weird crooner feel, almost like a parody. This is just my personal philosophy, but if I can't sing a song in it's original key, I don't do it.

You know I don't think I really paid attention to the octave lower singing. (I am a beginner) I will ponder this. I guess if I just have the chords (think guitartabs.com) I will be prone to doing this and singing the song by memory- often changing the octave to suit me... I guess the answer would be to pick out the octave on my keyboard with sheet music and start from there. Interesting- Thanks for the feedback.

(I am a beginner)

Well, in that case, I think you did a good job and have great potential. You're pretty much on key, which is half the battle right there. A lot of beginners, and even more advanced singers, have problems with pitch. You have a good sense of pitch from what I can hear. If you find songs that suit your range and voice, I'm sure you'll do a great job on them.

Back