Andy Wallace

Elton Bear

Unregistered Abuser
In this interview;

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_andy_wallace/

Andy Wallace gives me the impression that he slams his mixes into the wall because he likes the sound of it, not because the artists instruct him to do so. He does mention the fact that it helps keep control over your mix post- radio compression, but it still seems to go against the reasons many other professionals give for over-compressing everything.

Thoughts?

Andy Wallace doesn't deal with garage bands or with people trying to sound like Andy Wallace because they think that is how things are "supposed to" sound just because that's how Andy Wallace does it.

Speaking of Andys, Andy Warhol turned a Campbell's Tomato Soup can into a work of art. Does that mean that if I paint a can of Progresso Clam Chowder that I'll be just as artstic, popular or successful?

As far as liking the sound of no dynamics, I'm reminded of my cousin Todd. True story: He wears nothing but black and shades of gray. Many people think he has a very distinctive style. Most people that don't know him well enough don't realize that's because that's the only way he can guarantee of getting his clothes to look OK without having someone else pick them out for him. You see, he's color blind.

Actually, I prefer Garrison Keillor's take on the subject. Sung to the tune of "Mister Sandman":

Mr. Soundman, Turn up the sound
So they can hear me for miles around
Use all the volume that you can manage,
I wanna do a little hearing damage.
Mr. Soundman, you know what I need
Keep on a-crankin' till their eardrums bleed.
I'm gonna terrorize this crowd,
Mr. Soundman turn me up loud.

Mr. Soundman, I'd like there to be
Lots less of everyone and lots more of me.
If you could take me up a little higher
To just before you blow your amplifier.
Mr. Soundman, cause me some pain
I don't need earplugs or novacaine
I ain't too good, but I ain't proud.
Mr. Soundman, turn me up loud.

Mr. Soundman, what did you say?
I must have blacked out. I think I'm okay.
You really got me with that high pitched squealin'
I can't hear nothin' but I like the feelin'.
Mr. Soundman, you got it right
My ears are ringin' for the rest of the night
It's always up and never down
Mr. Soundman turn up…
I wanna crash and burn up…
Mr. Soundman, turn up the sound!

Last edited:
Back