And speaking (again) of the SP B1

jeffree

Not to beat a live horse, but a tune I did using only a B1 was reviewed in this month's Recording mag. Given my small and very modest home studio, I was pleased to see the reference to the acoustic instruments I recorded with the B1, with minimal EQ or other processing and no external mic pres. Per Marty Peters in the October issue: "The acoustic guitar is very well presented, particularly for a non-boutique instrument using the AW16G's mic pres... and the balalaika is equally impressive." I know he's being generous and kind, overall, but then again, he feels free to nail me on a couple of other issues later in the review.

J.

Nice , Im glad to hear that youre getting quality results from your SP B1 and on top of that , people are realizing it. :) Keep it up.

That is excellent, and to be honest, doesn't surprise me one bit! The Studio Projects B-1 is especially suited for acoustic guitar and sounds great on many sources. So experiment! Have fun, and make top-sounding recordings for much less money.

jeffree--

congrats! i read that review in this month's recording. i found marty's comment about "running the indy 500 in a minivan" pretty humorous. :D sounds like he seemed to enjoy the acoustic tones though, and for most folks around here, that's paramount--not to mention a large testament to what you can do with an $89 mic and non-boutique preamps.

....now if i could only get the cojones to submit something......but i don't want him nailing me on my vocals.....i can hear it now....."sounds like the bastard child of neil young and a tone-deaf cat in heat".... :p

cheers,
wade

Thanks a lot, guys. And Wade, go ahead and get that recording in there. I sent mine in a year ago, promptly forgot about it, and was surprised to see my name there this month. My first thought was "gulp, I'm a goner", before I scanned the review and saw nothing too terrible. Fotunately, Marty's a nice guy who clearly understands the limits that many of us home-recording types face.

If anyone reading this thread hasn't seen the review, the "minivan in the Indy 500" comment referred to my use of a Casio keyboard for my piano parts. He's right: it sounds like crap. (I've been a good boy, Santa, so maybe this year you could bring me...)

J.

jeffree said:
Wade, go ahead and get that recording in there. I sent mine in a year ago, promptly forgot about it

.........and that's why i haven't sent anything in. i figured it would take a year or so before they even get to it (if they did) and a year from now i'll be making much better recordings with better production/arrangement skills, a better sounding space and better gear. the ones i'm making now are FAR better than the ones i was making a year ago. i'm more in need of immediate feedback--like our mp3 mixing clinic.

jeffree said:
and saw nothing too terrible. Fotunately, Marty's a nice guy who clearly understands the limits that many of us home-recording types face.

amen there. and i agree--i've subbed to that rag for 3 or 4 years now and have seen marty pretty much tear some submissions apart. i figure he's got a pretty high standard......again, why i haven't sent anything in. :D

jeffree said:
If anyone reading this thread hasn't seen the review, the "minivan in the Indy 500" comment referred to my use of a Casio keyboard for my piano parts.

yeah, it was something to the tune of "trying to get a steinway sound out of a casio is like running the indy 500 in a minivan". i laughed my ass off at that comment b/c i've felt that *exactly* way about some of the tones i've gotten in the past.....it's an accurate description of trying to do something with a piece of gear it wasn't designed for......like dropping a humbucker into a tele and hoping to get a les paul tone out of it (been there, done that). :D

i wonder how many other of our friends around here have managed to get a tune reviewed in Recording?

cheers,
wade

Back