and on the ceiling???

thajeremy

registered abuser
Iv been working on my studio for almost a year now...its a 24 X 36 block building with 9' ceilings. We are hanging sheetrock now and should be finishing up with it this weekend I hope. My question is with the ceiling. I like the look of just a plain sheetrock and paint finish, but is there any advantages to a textured ceiling like that shitty looking popcorn spray stuff? It will make it much easier to finish, but Im not really fond of the look of it....

No advantage whatsoever...... no detriment either - It is (in the end) the same as if you just painted the ceiling (acoustically).

That having been said, you need to think hard about how you are going to finish your space.

Is this just a practice space - a single room combination mixing/tracking room (or what)?

You are going to get a lot of early reflections off of that hard ceiling and may well find that you are going to need some ceiling clouds to tame them down....... you'll know better when the room is finished........

Rod Gervais
GIK Acoustics
Director of Education
GIK Acoustics. Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps. (USA)
GIK Europe, Bass Traps, Acoustic Panels (Europe)
Tel.(US)1.888.986.2789
Tel.(UK)+44(0)20.7558.8976

Excellent. It's good to have experts and company reps rolled in one. Guys like you and Ethan and Glenn are a tremendous asset to this little community and guys like me. I wish all of you success in your business endeavors and thanks for being here.

lou

Guys like you and Ethan and Glenn are a tremendous asset to this little community and guys like me. I wish all of you success in your business endeavors and thanks for being here.

lou
You working on getting a discount on something already????

:D

Thanks Rod....I have been recording for lots of local bands for quite some time...I have been in my basement, but now with a 9 month old baby, Im being moved out of my basement and im building a 24 X 36 concrete block building just for recording. DANG.... Anyway...I have 20+ OC703 panels and will be building more. My control room will have 6 walls...picture the top half of a stop sign thats 20 ft across the back and 12 ft at the top. I will have a drum room thats an irregular pentagon thats about 18 feet at its longest point by 12 at its longest point. One Iso booth thats around 11 X 5 and one thats 5 X 8. I was asking about the ceiling because I read about some accoustic texturing spray STUFF once and I didnt know if anyone knew of anything that was actually worth it to put up or just leave the ceiling flat and hang clouds. spraying the popcorn stuff will be an easier finish but Im not really fond of the look....

Back