Analog vs Digital

It isn't a true "analog vs digital" comparison test, though, as they are still using digital as the recording and processing medium - the only thing they are testing is the difference between analog and digital summing / channel strip processing (EQ, compression, effects, etc). hehe - "only" - of course there is a lot being swapped out here, but the medium being recorded to is still digital.

While there is a major difference between using digital plugs for something like compression and using the real thing (physically different - I'm not here to debate which is "better") - it seems like the only way to have a true shootout would be to take the feed from the mics, run it into two different recording mediums (The ProTool HD system, and a 2" tape deck), and then produce 2 mixes of each - one entirely analog (no digital processing from mic to final output, aside from the conversion to computer-based playback medium), and one entirely in the box (post-preamp).

It would seem that the fact of the matter is that you can't tell. And I don't think most people can, myself included - as long as you use good enough digital "equipment" - there might be a big difference between an analog LA-2A and the built-in compression that comes bundled free with Cubase LE, but when you're talking expensive, well-designed stuff (or inexpensive, well-designed stuff, but price does in fact usually dictate quality to a point), it does the job.

Back