Analog to Digital via PC - What the F***?

Rockenheimer

Alright. Been reading up on Cubase. Sounds to me like Pro Tools. It's too much for my needs. I HAVE a studio, I HAVE the songs on tape. I'm so analog, so please forgive my ignorance: all I need is a way to transfer onto my hard drive so I can burn CD's. My soundcard came stock with my new HP pc, with XP for OS. Bought the thing about two months ago, max, so it's not that dated. From what I've been reading, I can either go directly onto the soundcard, (via RCA / mini adaptors) at the high cost of unwanted hiss and noise. Or I can download these free applications, but I tried that and there was no way to download anything. It just didn't work. Nothing downloaded. I'm not against buying gear to make this happen, but I need to know WHAT to buy. I go to Sam Ash and the guy asks me What software are you running? Hell I'll buy that too, just somebody please tell me how to buy the minimum I can get away with to make an excellent transfer without the noise. Hardware? Software? Give me links if you know where to find the stuff so I can read up on it.
Thanks.

get an M-Audio 2496 for stereo transfers then any decent wav editor will capture your songs through it. You can top and tail your wav files and use noise reduction if you need to

get a free audio editor from the net - someone will come along with a site for you i'm sure..........and hitsquad.com allows you to download some free plug-ins which may help with reducing unwanted hiss etc...

Back