Analog summing alternatives

dzara 4

Hi ,

I have only been recording for about 8 months and have been mixing
in the box. It seems obvious that many people perfer mixing in analog to
get that warmth and summing sound. Recently, I found a company called
dangerous music that make a rack mountable 2 bus to stereo console that
is suppossed to make your mixes "punchy" "full of warmth" etc.
Has anybody experimented with these products instead of getting a analog mixer. Any Comments about this product or similar products would be
appreciated.

Thanks

I certainly don't have a problem with analog summing - But it's a subtle thing - It's not a "Holy cow! My mixes suddenly sound like they were done on 2" tape!" thing.

I'm not saying in the crowd, but most people I know who have been recording for only a few years hardly understand how to set their input levels. You want to make a mix sound "harsh" and "digital" and all sorts of other negative adjectives? Track a little too hot. Overdrive your preamp. A *huge* number of "rookies" already do this and they have no idea as they don't think about analog distortion. They figure that if you don't clip the converters, you're not distorting anything. Then they tend to complain about their mixes sounding harsh, veiled, small, difficult to EQ, strident, etc. An analog summing buss isn't going to do squat for that.

In any case, before dropping some fairly serious bucks on a summing buss, you should be so thrilled with the sound you're already getting that you just need to have that little push from "near perfect" to "even closer to perfect." An analog summing buss isn't going to turn a "fair" mix into a "good" mix. Or even a "good" mix into a "great" mix.

While I can't comment on the Dangerous 2-Bus as I haven't tried it, I do use the Dangerous Monitor ST-SR for monitoring control and it is an excellent product. Chris Muth makes great gear.

John,

> before dropping some fairly serious bucks on a summing buss <

Indeed, gear for external summing and other such esoterica is way behind the staples such as having good monitors and a well treated room.

--Ethan

Massive Master said:
You want to make a mix sound "harsh" and "digital" and all sorts of other negative adjectives? Track a little too hot. Overdrive your preamp.

Is overdriving the preamp always bad? Sometimes when I'm up late and her indoors is in bed I have to be quiet so I turn the amp down and wind up the firepod pre to around 3 oclock. It's not clipping and seems to work OK on some guitar sounds, even seems to 'warm' them up some

Back