analog outputs on presonus digimax

sniixer

Hi

I have a tecnical question about the Presonus Digimax LT: I want to use their insert-outs as analog outputs into my Fostex vf160ex HD-recorder. I'm wondering what cables to use. Do I really need a modified Insert-cable, or can I use unbalanced cables? I tried using an unbalanced cable plugged all the way in on the Digimax and Fostex, and it sounded fine to me..
I would be very glad to get some feedback on this, because in a few days I'll record a concert with this equipment, and I fear that our local shops dont have these modified-cables, and I dont have time to order them from the Internet.

I have bought some equipment to record concerts, mostly jazz: Fostex VF 160ex, Presonus Digimax LT, Focusrite Octopre,(I use the ADAT outputs from the Octopre) 2*AKG c451b and a 16 channel splitter-snake.

Thanks,
Sniixer

sniixer said:
Hi

I have a tecnical question about the Presonus Digimax LT: I want to use their insert-outs as analog outputs into my Fostex vf160ex HD-recorder. I'm wondering what cables to use. Do I really need a modified Insert-cable, or can I use unbalanced cables? I tried using an unbalanced cable plugged all the way in on the Digimax and Fostex, and it sounded fine to me..
I would be very glad to get some feedback on this, because in a few days I'll record a concert with this equipment, and I fear that our local shops dont have these modified-cables, and I dont have time to order them from the Internet.

Plugged in that way, the send will work normally, but the return will be grounded so I believe you will lose the digital output. If you don't need digital output for your concert, you'll be fine.

Push the jack in to the first click and you should be able to tap the insert for direct outs without breaking the signal flow through the Digimax...

I'm assuming you're using the ADAT input on the Fostex for the Focusrite Octopre and you're looking for additional channels.

MOFO Pro said:
Push the jack in to the first click and you should be able to tap the insert for direct outs without breaking the signal flow through the Digimax...

I'm assuming you're using the ADAT input on the Fostex for the Focusrite Octopre and you're looking for additional channels.

First click doesn't 'click' too well on the Digimax. The plug isn't retained securely, so a little vibration could cut the signal.

mshilarious said:
First click doesn't 'click' too well on the Digimax. The plug isn't retained securely, so a little vibration could cut the signal.

Not ideal in a live situation... never mind!!!

sniixer said:
Hi

I have bought some equipment to record concerts, mostly jazz: Fostex VF 160ex, Presonus Digimax LT, Focusrite Octopre,(I use the ADAT outputs from the Octopre) 2*AKG c451b and a 16 channel splitter-snake.

Thanks,
Sniixer

If you'll look in the box your Digimax LT came in, there's a sheet explaining exactly what cable you need, or how to make one on your own :o

If you don't have that anymore, they have the info on their website as well.

Thanks for your replies, you're really helpful. I think I will go for the unbalanced cables. I tried to plug them in on the first click, but I couldnt get any sound from it, so I will try to plug them all the way in, i dont need the digitial outputs on the Digimax.
Sniixer

sniixer said:
Thanks for your replies, you're really helpful. I think I will go for the unbalanced cables. I tried to plug them in on the first click, but I couldnt get any sound from it, so I will try to plug them all the way in, i dont need the digitial outputs on the Digimax.
Sniixer

http://www.presonus.com/pdf/insert_as_analog.pdf

Says everything you need to know right there. That, or look at pages 6 and 7 in your user manual, where it describes how to either use the first "click" on a 1/4" TS cable, or how to use an actual TRS Insert cable (kinda like a Y cable), although the TRS Insert cable disables the ADAT Lightpipe output.

Sorry to disturb you again, but I cant sleep well tonight before I get this straight:
I already own a 8 channel TRS-jack snake-cable (balanced), and I cant afford to buy another cable.. will this snake work as a direct out from the digimax into the vf160ex, or will it turn out problematic..
Right now the Digimax is on repair, will get it on saturday, and on sunday there is a concert where I cant mess up the recording, so if you know the answer to this question just write yes or no, and I will be glad.
Sniixer

sniixer said:
Sorry to disturb you again, but I cant sleep well tonight before I get this straight:
I already own a 8 channel TRS-jack snake-cable (balanced), and I cant afford to buy another cable.. will this snake work as a direct out from the digimax into the vf160ex, or will it turn out problematic..
Right now the Digimax is on repair, will get it on saturday, and on sunday there is a concert where I cant mess up the recording, so if you know the answer to this question just write yes or no, and I will be glad.
Sniixer

I tested this on my LT by plugging a headphone straight into the insert, and it worked fine on one channel only which is exactly what would be expected. So I say yes.

Back