analog mixing

remco

StudioJunky
hi all,

I.m always did recordings with my (in)famous vs1680 and decided to upgrade So now i got a hd24xr, masterlink and a allen and heath 2416 system 8 mk2
I've try'd the masterlink and getting great results, sometimes it need's a few db of limiting and that't all.
Yesterday the hd24xr arrived(yahoo!!!) and did today some tests.
When i record with the AH the signals (hd) are between -6 and -1,wich is good i think. but when i put the master, or bus to the masterlink i'm getting signals in the ml between -30-20 wich is not normal, so i suspect i'm doing something wrong or the mixer is faulty

any help is welcome

Remco

are you using balanced cables? If not you'll have a 6Db drop from what it says on the meters on the desk. You should be using the L/R OUT of the A&H which are on XLR outputs and set at +4Bd. Turn down the control room volume and set the meters with the master fader, what it says on the meter is what goes out of the L/R XLR outputs. If it's not there's a problem.

Hope that helps

Nice desk the system 8. I have a Saber 24/16/16/2 and love the pre's and EQ

Alec

also....I'm not up on the masterlink but make sure the inputs aren't switchable between -10 & +4Db....if they are make sure they're switched to +4

LemonTree said:
on the meter is what goes out of the L/R XLR outputs. If it's not there's a problem.

I'm afraid that't it

LemonTree said:
love the pre's and EQ

that was the main reason i bought it

the strage thing is all the busses and l/r output outputs a low level,so i hoped i did something wrong. all those pots and slider makes me dizzy

Ok one more q: the way i monitor now,is not the right way i suspect
use a bus for that, is that correct

Remco

no there should be a L/R feed on the back or CRM (control room monitors)

everything you need to know can be found HERE

Hopr that helps you some

Alec

You could be having matching problems between pro audio gear and consumer gear.

Consumer gear operates at -10db while pro audio operates at +4db.If you hook up consumer gear with pro gear, you get that drastic drop in db.

LRosario said:
You could be having matching problems between pro audio gear and consumer gear.

the masterlink and the hd24xr, operates as +4, don't know about the allen and heath but there was not a switch or sumpting, otoh i'm prettey clueless how the console workt

lemmontree, tnx every bit of help is welcome... but i don't get it to work properly. there are a lot of fader and buttons , and how many i press them it does not wat i want.

Remco

Back