Analog Fever!

ROBOTQUALITYREC

hey everyone...
im new here, sad to say...
i was using ADATs and computer based programs for too long.
till i remembered the true way...ANALOG
man o man.
something struck me the other day. i was listening to some projects i recently recorded and they lacked a little...life...punch...FATNESS

(you can see what i mean here - - - just a couple songs from a hardcore band i just recorded)

www.angelfire.com/indie/robotquality/samplepage

not that its bad, just missing something.
then i remembered about magical tape mmmmm
you can push the levels and it sounds BETTER!!
no more snap crackle pop digital distorion there
(i wanna kill those little elves in my computer)

ALL THE KIDS NEED TO COME LOOK AT THE ANALOG POSTS!!
almost EVERY pro studio uses a 2" tape machine. thats what every album those kids want to record like was done on...and tape machines are DIRT CHEAP compared to when they came out
(maybe im just biased)
ANYWAYS

i do believe using analog for tracking and protools for editing is the most productive and efficient way...you can put it in a computer but you cant take the magic away! right?

so as for right now i have my mind set on a TASCAM MS 16
thats the 1" model...i might even drive a day and a half to pick one up in nashville
sorry im ranting...
im just VERY excited and VERY mad at myself for forgetting about TAPE!!!
i hope you guys can give some advise along the way cause my mind is so wrapped up the digital domain i might not fare too well at first (head cleaning, alignment, demag, spooling, storing etc..)

please forgive me for not seeing the true way sooner

THANKS!! :)

Attachments

• drool!.jpg
    drool!.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 447
Yep !!

Analog IS the thing.

I've been using analog ever since for recording.

I do use Nuendo digital for occasional work,
only to build up a structure of a song, before going to the tape,
so I don't overwtire the tape again and again,
making it worn too fast.

Once I have the demo recording on the digital equipment, I go the to analog recorder and make the master !

I find it the most productive way for me to work.

One thing about analog studios -
Son't forget you're not going to end up just by buying that 16 track recorder and a decent console. To be able to get pro results, you're gonna have to have many other stuff and equipment, not to mentional the patching through patch bays nd cords. In other way, analog has it's (high) price - for sure.
But after all I think it's worth the price, and you're gonna make a particular record only once, to be listened as many times in the future. It's important to have the best results you can offer before making it a public master.

One more thing.

I don't think that tracking analog and editing digital is a good idea. Once you put up a VST processor over the analog signal, it's digital ! think about it.

For example - "Golden Heart" great album of Mark Knopfler.

Man, they took the analog tape recordings and put it on Nuendo. Than edited and mastered. I have to tell you that the result sounds crap (!).

This is very disappointing because MK has really great "taste" with all to do to musical instrumants and processors. But once they took all recordings into Nuendo there was nothing much left of all that great analog sounding recordings.

yeah i see what your saying,
but i just see it as :
a bass drum signal -> protools is a bass drum -> protools...
but an ANALOG recorded bass drum signal -> protools is...well, better. right?

i have a joemeek twinQ and soon will get an avalon 737sp
im looking at getting some nice vintage units once i do some more research.

Well, yes, the originally analog signal will retaing some of it's warmth and roundness even when going into digital media,
but hey, it you recorded it on tape initially, why transferring it to digital eventually anyway ?? for me it's onvious it is either full analog or full digital process. I can't find how the took a whole analog recorded track to edit on digital equipment. It's already on the tape, mic and mater right from the tape itslef ! :-)

that would be great, but for what i do EVERYTHING has to end up on CD anyways...
i should make them take the reels to get mastered onto cassettes
thatd be great...
or ill just get a wax cylinder recorder

With each digital process that you apply on the analog signal , you'll loose some of the sound quality.

A tape mastered directly into a CD will sound more analog than a signal that has been apllied all kinds of VST effects on it for example....

Anal ugh.........

Only Digital !!! Long live the King !

We did a poll here and Digital won. Aso on my PC using a 24/96 Audiophille it sounded waaaayyyyyy clearer then any analog you can play for me.

You must have wax in your ears.

Well, the Beatles...... recorded on a _ _ _ R T _ _ _ _

So, you and your odd digital theory are way off base Shailot.

Analog users don't have wax in their ears... listening to digital shit... I wish I did sometimes!

Emeric said:
Well, the Beatles...... recorded on a _ _ _ R T _ _ _ _

So, you and your odd digital theory are way off base Shailot.

Analog users don't have wax in their ears... listening to digital shit... I wish I did sometimes!

Shailat for you...... dick head....drop the "o"

If the Beatles had digital in their days they might not have broken up !!!

Shailat,

If the Beatles had digital in their day they'd never have got an album done, edit this / edit that ad infinitum, generic digital blank stare across their faces.

Analog just doesn't offer better sound, it offers room for error and time for the musicians to really reflect on what was recorded.

---------

I just had to edit this. Resorting to name calling is low. Call me a dickhead to my face and the outcome would be very different than in this digital internet land.

Emeric said:
Shailat,

If the Beatles had digital in their day they'd never have got an album done, edit this / edit that ad infinitum, generic digital blank stare across their faces.

Analog just doesn't offer better sound, it offers room for error and time for the musicians to really reflect on what was recorded.

Shit head..... Now you go and make an interesting point :mad: :mad: :mad: Actualy that is a very interesting point....maybe your only half a schmuck.......Sort of like Analog ....a warm format half useable...when you use it to light a cigar......

Edited by Shailat /02/02/03
----------------------------------

TO your point - Analog has the punch in factor alike digital and editing splicing the tape as well. Yet I canot rebuke your comment and find it interesting and probably right. that make me confused:confused:.......Yet now in the digital age the engineer has become part of the musical "arranger" and should revceive credits along with the musicians As he can edit the groove to change the feel from sloppy to in the pocket. He can copy parts and paste them alike any musician. He can use plugins to lo fi the groove in a musical way....So many more options are open today.......why limit yourself with Analog ?!?! ___hole (fill in the blanks).

I swear I didnt edit this post ?!?! whats with this " Last edited by Shailat crap ?!?!?
I
I
V

Last edited:
Tell me why someone is comming in hear on a analog forum and
running it down?

Go away, What are you trying to do? convert me

Been there done that digital thing and still do for somethings.

But you will never get me to admit or agree that digital sounds
better then a good analog system.
I think everyone has just grown used to the sound of digital
especialy you children that grew up in the digital age.

Go play on a digital forum and leave this one alone.

in the digital age the engineer has become part of the musical "arranger" and should revceive credits along with the musicians As he can edit the groove to change the feel from sloppy to in the pocket. He can copy parts and paste them alike any musician. He can use plugins to lo fi the groove in a musical way....So many more options are open today.......why limit yourself with Analog ?!?! ___hole (fill in the blanks).

in the digital age, thats what happened to music period.....the engineers began to beleive they were musicians.......ha! Bet you can't record a whole band"ensemble" live in stereo........... cause it doesn't exist anymore. The musicians can't do it. They can barely multitrack. Ever since multitrack, engineers have been able to "fix it in the mix". hence, bands AND engineers have forgot what "ensemble" means, at least in the studio. Thats why the lables substitute shitty players in "bands" all the time. Cause they can. IF, there was no multitrack or digital, there would be far FEWER STARS and even FEWER engineers! But a lot more REAL TALENT in recordings.
fitz:rolleyes: my .02 cents. Take your digital TALENT and stuff it. It ani't real.

WOAH
i started a war here...
i didnt mean to
i was just excited about getting some cool fat sounding tape in my studio.
i like digital too. i like both. i think people are too obsessed with the technical aspects of MUSIC when its just MUSIC!
its entertainment. a good song is a good song.
98% of people cant tell the differece between any recorded mic or amp or anything else to make it worth arguing about.
i think its ALL about engineers trying to impress other engineers with their cool gear and techniques.
i just like to record peoples stuff so theyre happy with and and have some fun!!
luckily its fun for me too.

im 23. i grew up in the "digital age" i guess.
i still love the roots of it all tho.
and i think music and shit is all about evolution and mixing old with new and making something different. and good. and thats all

ROBOTQUALITYREC said:
WOAH
i started a war here...

Then WAR IT IS !!!

ME ?!!? LEAVE ?!!? on acount of some Analog nutheads?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad: NO WAY !

If you guys continue this shit, I'll have to get Boray in here to help you diffrenciate between the boys and digital.....if that won't convince you, then it will be time for me to play my samples of digital heaven versus analog Lemon....

Is it samples you need to turn the other way?....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :o :o :o :o

Never ceases to amaze me how people who are digitized wander off and just have to see whatzappenen in the analog world. As if we give a shit about digital and they are going to show us the error of our ways. Ha! I have digital. All of it. And I still don't give a shit about it. And this thread. Now, where were we....
fitz

in the digital age, thats what happened to music period.....the engineers began to beleive they were musicians.......ha! Bet you can't record a whole band"ensemble" live in stereo........... cause it doesn't exist anymore. The musicians can't do it. They can barely multitrack. Ever since multitrack, engineers have been able to "fix it in the mix". hence, bands AND engineers have forgot what "ensemble" means, at least in the studio. Thats why the lables substitute shitty players in "bands" all the time. Cause they can. IF, there was no multitrack or digital, there would be far FEWER STARS and even FEWER engineers! But a lot more REAL TALENT in recordings.

A very good point FITZPATRICK !!

I totally agree with that. You know, it's funny' I met a 80 years old guy a few weeks ago, which used to be the official sound engineer for a local broadcasting company, he said all he used to use to record bands was a single condensor !! Yeh, that's how he used to do that. He has never touched an actual multitrack !
From the condensor direct to a stereo reel recorder !

When I asked him if he would like to listen to some of my mixes, so he can tell me what he thinks of the overall sound, he said he would not do it if it was DIGITAL !

Ha ha

Than he saw the 8 track reel to reel fostex and became satisfied :-)

well... that's too bad...

looks like we got us a juvenile dork floating around, worst kind - can't even make an entrance without some name calling...

now don't bitch, Shailot - just don't dish it out if ya can't take it back !!! and by the way, have you ever worked with analog - before you trash it ? And did you know, as previously mentioned, that anything coming out of any major studio was tracked analog originally ????

Fitzy - you are so right - the ability of a group of musicians to sit down and pull off a take, all in one shot, with only a couple of mics up feeding into two tracks, seems to be lost.

Yes, I'll admit I track to analog and mix to digital - each has it place - and that's the key - each has a place. Digital doesn't replace analog, it's just another tool in the realm of recording, which increases possibilities, and has some drawbacks, which each wise engineer needs to evaluate in light of his/her own projects.

b-h

Back