Analog controls + digital functions...how to use??

SteveinAlaska

This is something that I have been a bit perplexed about. My receiver/amp has high and low pass filter switches along with a set of equalizer slider controls. Now, in my mind as I play a record(78rpm) I'll adjust these controls to have the best audio output available to listen to the record in the room. My assumption is......this is the same sound going through my system to be recorded in my audio software. Am I right in thinking this???:confused:

If that be so....I should not have to use those functions within my software (using Adobe Audition 3.0).

Thanks for any help offered.

Attachments

• IMG_1865.JPG
    IMG_1865.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1868.JPG
    IMG_1868.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 31
Your assumption may be flawed. There is a high likelihood the the line-outs that you use to go into the computer grab the signal before the EQ stage in the amp.

It's straightforward to test: just do a recording, then compare it to what you hear normally from the amp.

However, were the line-outs to grab the signal after EQ, then, yes, you should not need further EQ in Audition.

Gecko Zzed is almost certainly right. The norm on domestic amps is to route the line out/tape out before any of the front panel controls. If not, then every time you adjust the volume knob or the tone controls for the room you'd mess up your recording.

As Gecko says, it would be easy to test.

And, even if the controls turn out to be active, I'd forget them anyway. The EQ controls in Audition would be streets ahead of anything on a Kenwood receiver. I know of a guy (ANDREW ROSE FROM PRISTINE AUDIO) who makes his living doing restoration work on old 78s and and who has wone= prizes for his work--he uses Audition as his main DAW. Andrew is a regular over at the Audiomasters forums about Audition and has posted some of his secrets there if you're interested.

Back