Analog comparison request

darwin

I know that there is better sound quality with 1/2" 4-track tape or 1" 8-track tape than you get with 1/2" 8-track or 1" 16-track. I was curious if any of you might be able to post an example that could compare the two formats? I realize that it is quite possible that this request may not be filled, but I thought I would ask. Thanks, in advance

I think I had seen that before in a previous post. That's pretty interesting. Sometimes, it's hard for me to take a graph and picture what it sounds like. I guess the main thing that I am worried about is the difference in noise floor.

Any differences that you might be able hear would be destroyred by digitization and compression to make available for internet use. Why exactly are you asking?

SoMm

Som, I don't agree at all. The more sound you start with the better it will sound in the end. If I use an 16 track 2" machine don't you think it will sound a bit different even mp3'ed than a recording done in 16 track 1/4"? The CD version will definately kick some serious ass regardless of digitization. That's why a 24 bit recording will sound better than a 16 bit version even on a 16 bit CD.

A good analogy would be: if I record two signals through the same mic in the same room one out a 16 bit DAW and one out a 2" tape machine the 2" recorded signal will sound different from the 16 bit DAW undeniably. If not why are any of us bothering with rediculous sound fidelity all through the signal chain?

darwin said:
I think I had seen that before in a previous post. That's pretty interesting. Sometimes, it's hard for me to take a graph and picture what it sounds like. I guess the main thing that I am worried about is the difference in noise floor.

Well, all 1/4" 8-tracks I've seen has built in noise reducation. Most 1/2" has not (although most use external NR). That kinda says it all. :-)

With NR my Fostex A-8 has no noticable noise for normal use.

jake-owa said:
If I use an 16 track 2" machine don't you think it will sound a bit different even mp3'ed than a recording done in 16 track 1/4"?
I agree with what your saying for the most part, and yes it will sound different. But...
It all depends. If we were talking a 2" 16 track which has roughly .18 inch wide tracks you would hear a difference that is very dramatic. But were talking Narrow format recorders where that tracks widths are only .07 or less. ( Ive never seen a 1/4" 16 track) So what happens to the mp3 is my main point. The Mp3 compression, depending on which converter, will sound "different" but it may or may not reveal the true differences a listener might be looking for. Also, most folks using a 2" 16 track or other wide format recorder for the most part will have a signal chain the keeps the original integrity intact. Going to CD is still going to sound like crap compare to the source material. And its a crap shoot retaining that quality all the way to mp3. Maybe on PC speakers you won't be able to tell, but you know that pumping it through a 1/2 decent playback reveals the artifacts, truncation and HF exaggeration.
Another reason I say what I did, is that the number of people that could discern the difference between these formats because of having "experienced ears" are few and far in between. Maybe thats a bad assumption, but after a few of the "Mastering" shootouts and 24bit to 16bit shell games Ive seen happen, I think there is enough data to support that comment. Would someone who has worked the industry long enough with pro formats be asking the question? If not, what is the probability that they could hear sublte differences after several digital down conversions? How many people here can buy a CD, put it in the player and tell me what tape format was used? Without reading the liner notes.

Number one rule of analog recording is, the widest tape you can fit 8 or 16 tracks onto within your budget should be where you head.

My personal list of priorities.(somewhat flexible)
Consumer formats
1) 1" 16 track
2) 1" 8 track, depending on price, get 2
3) 1/2" 8 Track depending on price, get 2
4) 1/2" 16 track
5) 1/4" 8 Track
6) 1/4" 4 Track

Another set of side issue has to do with who is the engineer running the machines, are they well maintained and dozens of other questions Im sure.

Is my view a little clearer now?

SoMm

Back