analog bass/treble controls settings

SteveinAlaska

Been away for awhile so hello again:)

I do the 78rpm to digital transfer thing and am having some success in my efforts. I have had musicians & radio production people listening to my work and a question has been put to me and I would like some input from this end about the subject.

My amp has bass and treble controls and up to this time I have them set at minimum (or zeroed out if you will) in recording but it has been suggested that perhaps I should add bass/ treble as needed to improve my work. I will use the bass/treble settings in my personal listening. Maybe I need to change my technique?

your thoughts here..............

thank you

If "zero" is unity, then yes, you are doing it right. But, as I suspect is the case, unity is at 12 o'clock, then you've been attenuating all your bass and treble out! :eek:
At this point I would like to quote one of the mantra's of this site: "If it sounds right, it is right."
Record at zero; record at 12 o'clock; record at full boost. Post some samples and let's hear what sounds good to the "ears" of the board.

Yes, don't add or subtract anything, if you want when you have the digital version you can experiment on a copy of the file but have the original intact.

Alan

Record the 78rpm platter without effects/EQ adjustments.
DO clean the thing 1st though.
EQ, like declicking, noise reduction etc, should be use only when NEEDED.
Old vinyl does have a reduced top end after much use but the amount will vary across the recording and you'll need to address it in a situationally appropriate way.

Problem with 78s, as I am sure you know Steve, is that there was no standard EQ for original cutting and there were at least 1/2 doz' different replay EQs in use around the world* (even our "modern" RIAA characteristics are not quite caste in stone!).

So yes, all you can do is get each piece to sound as "right" as you think it should be.

Then, YOU will know this of course but for the benefit of others, where a group of recordings is made, say from the same performer. the EQ should be consistent track to track as of course should be levels.

*The "Acoustical Manufacturing Company" Quad even made plug EQ devices with B7G valvebases for various cartridges for their valved pre amp and the tone control and filter circuits were designed to mimic as close as practicable the various EQs that abounded.
Bit tricky to build now since, IIRC, it used a bespoke tapped inductor?

Dave.

Back