An Experiment, and a Request for Help

weirdralph

A Phone Recording Experiment, and a Request for Help

I'm trying a little experiment to see how good a recording I can make using just my phone. I recorded the following a cappella song using Audio Evolution, with all tracks running into a main channel (I think it's called a "bus") before going into the master channel. I've got a de-esser and parametric EQ on each track with a little extra EQ on the main track, which also has some reverb. I don't have any compression, but I did normalize all the tracks before mixing them down.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve the audio quality before I "publish" this for my friends and family?

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/jralphdavis/sweet-by-and-by-sample-for

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting much from a phone recording but it sounds pretty damn good.
I'm not sure you need any other processing on your tracks. Less is usually more when it comes to plugins & effects. The most important element in any recording is the performance and you've got a good one here.

de-ess a lil bit more, some parts are really attacking my ears with "esses" you recorded that with a phone? god damn!

Thanks. I thought it might need a little more de-essing but wasn't sure. I'll use automation to cut the volume on the esses.

Wow man. Nice job... Yeah the esses are pretty loud... other than that... dude, this is a phone recording?!

Back