An esoteric approach to writing a song

grimtraveller

If only for a moment.....
Variation 2.

This one is a little more difficult and esoteric, but is definitely worth the sweat.

Take a song, any song from any era. It might be one you adore or it may be one that you hate. Either way, it doesn’t matter because what you end up with is going to bear absolutely no relation to it.

Copy the song onto a track of your multitracker. You can speed up, slow down or stay at the same tempo. It doesn’t matter and you’ll soon see why if you haven’t already guessed.

Work out the chord or note sequence of either the whole song or the part of the song that you want as a template.

Then reverse the sequence !
But play it the way it was played on the recording. So use the rhythmic structure to write in those notes that you’ve reversed.

At this point, start thinking about morphing the sequence you now have into a genre or style of music other than that which it was originally written and performed in before you reversed the sequence. For example, say you were going to use the well-known song “Happy birthday to you.” You should now have it to the same rhythm, but completely different notes/chords.

Then put it into a waltz. Or a reggae rhythm. Or ‘Indianize’ it. Or make it a fast punk. Or a funeral dirge. Or heavy metal it up. Or schmaltz it to be some cocktail-lounge jazz ¬> you get the idea. Make it faster. Or slower. Even try it to a weird but simpler time signature like 5/4 or 9/8 if you're feeling a bit ambitious.

At this point, you can start to think about what other instruments to add, whether you’re going to give it more than one genre treatment, whether there’ll be vocals and lyrics, and whether you can add it to another fragment created in similar vein. Maybe you could add another section composed of related minor chords or harmonies to the ones already in existence. Around this time, if you’re going to have lyrics, or even if you’re not, you should be coming up with a melody to fit your chord/note structure. If a voice isn’t going to carry that melody, then what is ? Your call.

These are nice problems to have.
And no one’s going to sue you !

As for lyrics, well, like the other thread, don’t get precious. Literally, just write anything. Even a writer with the worst block in the world can come up with 4 or 8 lines. They don’t even have to be related. Their only function will be to be the melodic body around which the musical clothing hangs. Anyone can make up words if they try.

In my darkened room
Shafts of light peek through the curtains
Winter water runs down the windows
And drowns the insects skating home…..

See what I mean ? That’s a load of rubbish that I’ve just made up on the spot. It took less than 45 seconds. But if it were put to some music, it might take on a whole different light.

It’s a start. So have fun and try it, either in its entirety or parts of it.

I’ve lost my mind and so have you
Traded in our sanity for a bit of vanity.
So here we go running down the road
Trying not to slip and shooting from the hip.

@grimtraveller There you go. 3O seconds of lunacy inspired by your post. :D

Variation 2.

This one is a little more difficult and esoteric, but is definitely worth the sweat.

Take a song, any song from any era. It might be one you adore or it may be one that you hate. Either way, it doesn’t matter because what you end up with is going to bear absolutely no relation to it.

Copy the song onto a track of your multitracker. You can speed up, slow down or stay at the same tempo. It doesn’t matter and you’ll soon see why if you haven’t already guessed.

Work out the chord or note sequence of either the whole song or the part of the song that you want as a template.

But play it the way it was played on the recording. So use the rhythmic structure to write in those notes that you’ve reversed.

At this point, start thinking about morphing the sequence you now have into a genre or style of music other than that which it was originally written and performed in before you reversed the sequence. For example, say you were going to use the well-known song “Happy birthday to you.” You should now have it to the same rhythm, but completely different notes/chords.

Then put it into a waltz. Or a reggae rhythm. Or ‘Indianize’ it. Or make it a fast punk. Or a funeral dirge. Or heavy metal it up. Or schmaltz it to be some cocktail-lounge jazz ¬> you get the idea. Make it faster. Or slower. Even try it to a weird but simpler time signature like 5/4 or 9/8 if you're feeling a bit ambitious.

At this point, you can start to think about what other instruments to add, whether you’re going to give it more than one genre treatment, whether there’ll be vocals and lyrics, and whether you can add it to another fragment created in similar vein. Maybe you could add another section composed of related minor chords or harmonies to the ones already in existence. Around this time, if you’re going to have lyrics, or even if you’re not, you should be coming up with a melody to fit your chord/note structure. If a voice isn’t going to carry that melody, then what is ? Your call.

As for lyrics, well, like the other thread, don’t get precious. Literally, just write anything. Even a writer with the worst block in the world can come up with 4 or 8 lines. They don’t even have to be related. Their only function will be to be the melodic body around which the musical clothing hangs. Anyone can make up words if they try.

In my darkened room

See what I mean ? That’s a load of rubbish that I’ve just made up on the spot. It took less than 45 seconds. But if it were put to some music, it might take on a whole different light.

Its an interesting approach... I think we are all a little uptight sometimes. I do not promote drink or drugs although I sadly do drink to much. I think you can be very creative after a few beers and a doobie or 2. Just get it recorded and put it away for future reference. Coz great profound stuff I have written got torn up in shame and embarresment and anxiety in the morning 🤕🤕🤕

Variation 2.

In my darkened room

Grim I am with you, I can write a crappy little love song with a hook on guitar in 5 minutes. I cant write words like you but I can send it on guitar if you wish for a laugh?

Given *any* sequence of notes.... box standard variations are the inversion, retrograde, and retrograde-inversion. Adding in the original line (if you wrote that one...) makes four. All are now "related" and all are variations on a single theme or motif.

anything partially or fully retrgrade... gives you the choice to keep the start position in exact timing schema, or not. SO... two of your three theme/motif variations? Have two versions.

For me, inversion and retrograde inversion are hit and miss... depending on the given theme/motif, and what scale its in.

This is a very standard approach, to anyone who likes BACH. Honestly, you can look at a lot of classical music, and with no music theory or staff reading ability... still clearly "see" this going on. Patterrns are being repeated, upside down and backwards. usually in various keys as well.

At least for me? A "good" theme or motif idea... will sound good or better, in all of these other variations. The more of them "work", the more material I am generating to pick through making a big piece.

A SURPRISINGLY short and simple musical melody idea? Can sometimes generate a *lot* of workable and useable material... and some that sound great? I cant get any variations that sound good to flesh the short thing out.

Back