An arsenal of dynamics!!!

ProJect

Hey!

I have a dream... a vision. That vision is to have a lot of dynamic mics in my locker that I can choose from at any time. Just a little quirk I think would add some definate flavor to my recordings. I have the typical 57's and 58's, but I was wondering about some cheap nice dynamics that you would recommend. I just got an EV666 from eBay and I am probably going to get a Shure 545 and sometime an SM7, RE20, Senn 441, and 421, but I am wondering about a couple things:

What's the difference between the EV RE-15, 16, 18, and 11?

What else would you reccommend for some good variety of sounds(the condensers I have are 2 Oktava MC012's and a CAD E-200, just so you know what other sounds I already have)? Give me some good models you have used and had very nice results with.

Thanks in advance!

ProJect

ProJect said:
I have a dream... a vision. That vision is to have a lot of dynamic mics in my locker that I can choose from at any time.

Well, I suppose it might not be quite as noble as Martin Luther King's vision of a peaceful and racially united society ...

... but it is a very grand vision, nonetheless.

I just got an EV666 from eBay

Nice.

What's the difference between the EV RE-15, 16, 18, and 11?

Not a whole lot. They're all very similar, except the RE-11 is supposedly a 16 that didn't meet factory specs. Whatever the heck that means -- they're all good mics to have and so cheap you might as well have as many as you can get your hands on.

Each of the mics you mention followed sort of a progression from the 666 to the 15 to the 16 to the 18 to the 20, etc. They're all part of the same family tree, and should all have a very similar sound, although the re-16 is supposed to have more of a presence boost to it when compared to the others. Plus, it's got the built-in pop filter which is a bonus.

The RE-10, 15, 16 all have 'bass tilt' switch to reduce handling noise.

The RE-18 has no bass tilt switch but seems to be internally shock mounted.

The RE-16 has definite presence boost vs RE-18

Dynamics eh? I'd definitely get a 421 and SM7 from the mics you listed. Don't overlook the E609 Silver either. I'd also look into some of those crazy SPL-handling kick mics like the Beta 52 and the AKG D112.

Totally, the D112 is a definite future investment, but right now I have my CAD E200 which I LOVE on kick... it's a relatively flat mic with a little boost in the high end. All the expensive dynamics I mentioned(441, 421, sm7, RE20) will definately go into my locker sometime, but I am mainly asking about what little cheap ones fit in nicely.

Somebody should elaborate on the Beyers for me. How do they sound against the EV RE's? Against SM57/545s? The reason I started this thread was to see what people with these mics compared them to and what they're best on. Do you think I should get an RE16 if I will have a 666 in my hands very soon? I am looking for some variety. I'm gonna try to make an all-dynamic recording that sounds like it used expensive mics.

One cheap old dynamic often overlooked is the AKG D320/330. They were built in the 80's to compete with Sennheiser MD421. Difference is, you can find them used on ebay for about $50 if you are patient. I saw Focus use them in Holland years ago, and wound up getting a 320B, which was my stock in trade stage mic for years.-Richie

ProJect said:
Do you think I should get an RE16 if I will have a 666 in my hands very soon?

The 666 is a lot more midrangy and aggressive sounding. The 16 is fuller and more extended in the highs and lows; a little silkier and more hi-fi. In comparison to one another, that is. They're both mostly midrange-oriented mics, I suppose.

Richard Monroe said:
One cheap old dynamic often overlooked is the AKG D320/330. They were built in the 80's to compete with Sennheiser MD421. Difference is, you can find them used on ebay for about $50 if you are patient.

I almost forgot about them, but AKG has a few discontinued dynamics that'll pop up on ebay that will go for just insane cheap. And they're really good mics, too. I used to own one of their dual-diaphragm ones (can't remember which) that unfortunately was lost and I used to love that thing on snare and toms. The 320's and 330's make great snare mics.

Now a word from the other "chess"...

IMHO if you're running these mics through a budget mixer or pre
(less than DMP3 or less than VTB-1), start with the non-Shure makes.

The EV's/Beyer's/MD421's all tend to be whole lot less fussy about optimal "loading". (only have tried MD441 through a quality pre)

Congrats on the 666!:)

The 666 and the RE15 were the main vocal mics at Chess(!) Records between 1966 and 1972. So there's lots of records to compare with, along with heavy usage at RCA Studios (Elvis, Dolly Parton, et al)

The closest EV to it is the RE20, although the 666 picks up a bit more bass.
Be careful with it as EV no longer services them.

The EV635a is noticably absent from your list BTW.
It's a personal favorite for 50/60's style R&B vocals.

Keep an eye out for the Shure 546 (or SM56), and the 548 too.
The 548 is more of an immediate match for my voice vs. SM7, for example.
YMMV.

Chris

Thanks so much, other chess! Very helpful info.

I actually just bought 3 symetrix pre's. 2 SX202's and a 528. I am thinking of getting my 528 modded pretty soon by Jim Williams and then the 202's later. That way I'd have close to A class(or so I've heard) pre's for a fraction of the cost... and 5 channels of them! BTW, you think the SM7 will sound nice on my pre's? Are the Symetrix pre's still considered "budget"?

Oh yeah! The guy who sold me the 666 says he has another of the same quality and condition he'd sell for the same price!($115) Anyone who wants one, tell me and I'll pass your e-mail to him.

ProJect

ProJect said:
Oh yeah! The guy who sold me the 666 says he has another of the same quality and condition he'd sell for the same price!($115) Anyone who wants one, tell me and I'll pass your e-mail to him.

Do you know if it has the adapter?

If so, I'm interested.

I'm planning to purchase a M201 soon for snare, could that also handle guitar duities as well vs sm57? Another option would be a MD421 for both.

Thanks for any input ahead of time! :D

I haven't used the 201... but I have borrowed a 421 for a few weeks. I can tell you right now that it does indeed kick fucking ASS on cabs and snares. Also on some vox. I'd say go for the 421, but maybe someone here with experience with the 201 can give you better advice.

ProJect

A cheap dynamic mic that I like a lot is the Peavey 520i. For bass drum, I prefer it to Senn 421, EV RE20, AKG D112, all of which I own. And it's pretty nice anywhere a 421 might be used. It's also smaller and lighter!

ProJect said:
I haven't used the 201... but I have borrowed a 421 for a few weeks. I can tell you right now that it does indeed kick fucking ASS on cabs and snares. Also on some vox. I'd say go for the 421, but maybe someone here with experience with the 201 can give you better advice.

ProJect

I got the 201 for $179 and it's one of the best purchases I've made. It rules on snare and seems to be equally nice on guitar cab.

HangDawg said:
I got the 201 for $179 and it's one of the best purchases I've made. It rules on snare and seems to be equally nice on guitar cab.

The big advantage of a 201 over a 421 on drums is its size (and cost), you can tuck the 201 anywhere. The tone of the two mics on toms is very similar. I've never used my 421 on snare, so I can't help there.

How about a good set of dynamics for overheads? I know my Oktavas are more than ok, but maybe some different flavor?

Back