Amplitube 4 question

A real amp won't really compare to a sim. Not because Sims suck, or anything like that. It's because any specific amplifier will sound different than another amp.

A simple is usually modeled after a specific amp, or an average of a few of the same model amp. Since you don't have access to the amp they modeled, yours will sound different.

In other words, the sim can and will sound like a marshall, but it won't sound like your marshall.

Not to even get into the fact that some amps, like a mesa dual rectifier, have buttons and settings that aren't represented on the sim. This makes it hard to make an apples to apples comparison.

Why? What difference does it make? If you can get an appropriate sound out of a sim, and that is how you prefer to, or need to, get guitar sounds, what does it matter?

The listening audience doesn't give a shit how you got the guitar tones, only engineer's and other guitar players are interested in that. They probably aren't your audience, so screw 'em.

Take it from someone who once had 4 full marshall stacks, same model, bought at the same time. They all sounded a bit different from the other ones. So a sim of an amp you don't possess will not sound like the one you do.

Yeah no harm in giving it a shot, it'd be cool to compare. I might pick up that plug myself if it compares well. . .

it would be cool to find someone with a Gibson who has an amp and mic that I also have in my sim, then do a comparison.

Not even a little bit valid.

If you want to make any kind of valid comparison, you would have to use your guitar with you playing it into an amp, cab, and mics that you procure and use yourself. Mesas are pretty solid about sounding similar within a model range. Their V30 cabs are all about the same for the most part. Not much problem there. Any old Gibson won't do a fair comparison. Another player won't do a fair comparison. The guitar, player, mics and mic placement will be your ultimate undoing with this experiment.

Back