Ampex MM-1000 Story...

Yeah, I saw that. Thing is, to make that thing work you have to have the servo capstan which I do not, and after detailed discussion with a couple folks I'm totally at peace with that. There are a number of components required to convert to servo, none of which are easy to find, and I wouldn't really gain anything by doing so.

There's also an auction for an MM-1000 parts bundle, but I already have all the stuff in the auction.

BUT...something's coming...no, the MM-1000 isn't up and running yet, but something coming to thicken the plot...

Yeah, I saw that. Thing is, to make that thing work you have to have the servo capstan which I do not, and after detailed discussion with a couple folks I'm totally at peace with that. There are a number of components required to convert to servo, none of which are easy to find, and I wouldn't really gain anything by doing so.

There's also an auction for an MM-1000 parts bundle, but I already have all the stuff in the auction.

BUT...something's coming...no, the MM-1000 isn't up and running yet, but something coming to thicken the plot...

2" 24 track heads? :)

Cheers! :)

A little diversion while you wait...

Just saw this from a post on the Ampex List at recordist.com and I thought it was cool...its video machine related, but its Ampex history and features Ampex quad video machines which are part of the MM-1000 lineage:

YouTube

After I watched that it led to this one of a VR-1200 quad machine...

YouTube

The VR-1200 quad video machine is the base unit for the MM-1000...the console, and basic transport componenents (motors, transport plate, etc.)

I love when he says "Its gonna get noisy." when he turns it on, and then to hear familiar sounds of the noisy capstan motor and cooling fans (though the VR-1200 has a lot more fans in it) that I recognize from my MM-1000 but coming out of a video machine. Just kind of cool. So if you enjoy the MM-1000 you might enjoy the above video because you can see the face of an MM-1000 under the VR-1200. Also, there is commentary in it that will stir feelings about the reliability of older machines as Larry Oldham talks about the accolade of a 40+ year old machine playing back 30+ year old recordings "...like it was done yesterday."

Okay, so I watched that video which led to a series of videos put up by C. Park Seward, Ampex List member and avid contributor, regarding the refurb of a VR-1200. If you like taking stuff apart and refurbing stuff, and/or if you like the MM-1000 and want to see more of where it came from, check these out. I know I was entertained. What really impressed me the most was the perspective I got on the MM-1000 and why the console is so big...yes, the 16-track version needs most of those rack units for the 2U electronics modules so its not like they aren't used, but it is cool to see that the VR-1200 (and I'm sure any other quad video machine) is totally stuffed with card frames! Something like 83 cards in a VR-1200? So that console was indeed stuffed full. Its also neat to see the components that use all the holes in the transport plate not used by the MM-1000 audio-only transport. Maybe that doesn't make sense to you but for me it just answers unknowns about "why" and "what". This is unique for me in that usually I don't like "kludgey" stuff at all...I have a low tolerance for it and here is the MM-1000, which, again, was Ampex's quick answer to get a 2" multitrack system to market. There wasn't time to design a system from the ground up if they were going to keep ahead of 3M and Scully...that ground-up system didn't come until the MM-1100 which led to the popular MM-1200...so, anyway, Amprex grabbed a VR-1200 chassis and stuffed it with 440 electronics and *bam* lookie here we got a 2" scalable multitrack system. BUT, I find I am comfortable with this because borrowing from the VR-1200 chassis was a good solution as it was bulletproof, and the 440 electronics had a great track record already as well, and the "kludginess" is basically a testament to the fact that Ampex was kind of like a custom shop...filled with brilliant people, but a custom shop and the MM-1000 shows this. The MM-1000 represents an important step in history with the advent of a 2" multitrack that was made in relatively limited quantities, like 500-ish total for all the formats (1" 8-track, 2" 16-track and 2" 24-track). It is what it is and me likey.

Here's those videos that C. Park Seward put up:

YouTube
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Silly Ghost...that's what the tow receiver is for on the back of those brown trucks...the VR-1200 is on wheels dontcha know...

Its there...

The shipment is at my house. I, howver, am not. :eek:

Set your expectations to "low"...that way your eye-rolling will be minimal when I finally let the cat out of the bag...eye-rolling can cause a bad headache in my experience and I wouldn't want that for you.

The shipment is at my house. I, howver, am not. :eek:

Set your expectations to "low"...that way your eye-rolling will be minimal when I finally let the cat out of the bag...eye-rolling can cause a bad headache in my experience and I wouldn't want that for you.

So, you got 2" 16 track headstacks and guides? ;)

He got one of these. :eek:
analog_console.jpg

Back