Amp replacement

andydeedpoll

i do love smilies...
Hi there, just after a bit of advice.

I've got a Peavey Classic 30. Which I love, and don't really want to have to replace. But it's a heavy amp, and I never use it to it's full volume potential... I'm not actively rehearsing or gigging with a band at the minute, but if I was, then I'd be using lots of public transport, and that amp is just too heavy. But, I do still want to use a real amp :D My thinking was to sell the Peavey for as much as I could get for it, and replace it with a Fender Super Champ XD.

Does this sound like a plausible solution? I suppose the big question is - how much clean head room do you get on the SCXD? I play clean a lot of the time, and I love how loud and clean the Peavey will stay!

Any thoughts?

Ta!!

Andrew xxx

I'm sure there are many amps out there that fit what you are looking for. One suggestion is to check out Tech21's Trademark 60. It will be about 10lbs lighter than a C30, has 2 channels and will do both clean Fender as well as overdriven Marshall and Boogie sounds. Used both the c30 and TM60 go for about the same price.

I'm sure there are many amps out there that fit what you are looking for. One suggestion is to check out Tech21's Trademark 60. It will be about 10lbs lighter than a C30, has 2 channels and will do both clean Fender as well as overdriven Marshall and Boogie sounds. Used both the c30 and TM60 go for about the same price.

The Trademark-30 is worth a look, too - it only has one channel, and doesn't have as much headroom as a 60 (and can JUST keep up with a quiet-ish drummer in my experience - micing up would be a necessity for gigging), but is incredibly small and light (and thus uber portable), and IMO is the more versatile amp - the 60 is great for clean to gritty sounds, but doesn't get too far into high gain territory. The 30, however, is just a phenominal high gain amp. If Marshalls really sounded as good as the "brit" mode on that thing, I'd own one. :D

Back