Amp Recommendations?

Editor

Evening gents:)

I got out of the LOUD scene (Marshall stacks, etc.) a lot of years ago (with a predictable hearing loss;) and have been content to record into my Cubase for the last while but have been missing some of the room ambiance that headphones do not supply (plus I get invited to jams once in a while). I'm happy with my guitars (nobody 'truly' is are they? LOL)
My Axes.JPG

I have a Boss ME-70 FX pedal board (found it on Kijij for a steal!) running into my computers that serves well to produce dang near any tone I want but I would like something combo-sized (read: 'easy-to-carry') to give me a live response to what I'm playing. I have an old Traynor transistor job that needs its pots cleaning like you wouldn't believe but it's a keyboard/bass amp -- there's enough power but the sound is too muddy ... plus it's too heavy to carry. Also, there's a Vox solid state 30 watter in the basement but it's not enough power-wise plus the speaker cone sounds like it's made outta Christmas present wrapping paper. I stuck it in a homemade box with a Celestion 12" and it's better ... not good, but better ... less 'flappy' sounding. Close but too dirty when fed with the ME-70.

I'm thinking I need a clean, solid state power amp/speaker combo of some sort with some line/headphone out possibilities ... any recommendations?

Brilliant answer mixsit:)

I had a look at your link & loved it but did I mention that I am a musician? (poor). While the amp looks perfect for my needs, it smells expensive.

I'll Google some more about Quilter:)

outside-the-box - I was messing with a direct box the other day, plugged into a little powered main speaker that I have, and I loved the clean sound (Radial JDI and JBL Eon 510, but that's not important) and it also sounded great with an effects pedal (only tried one) - have you tried anything like that? The reason I bring this up is that if you have a PA or a powered main, or you're going to be playing somewhere that has one, then maybe just go direct with your ME-70?

Other than that, you could look at keyboard amps - I don't know anything about them, but they seem to have the specs you want and might be cheap (or not?)

And there was one other sort of keyboard-amp made for guitars using multi-effects units that I can't remember the name of, but I'll try.

edit - Tech 21 power engine? Atomic Reactor? I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I think these are that sort of amp.

A lot of the guys that use the Fractal Axefx (myself among them) use either an EV ZAX1 or a QSC K8/10/12 for a full-range powered speaker option. This assumes that your guitar processor has cabinet simulators.

That said, I got tired of hauling the "A rig" to informal jams and bought a Mesa Boogie Express. Can't say enough good things about it. Sounds great, lots of options, loud as you could ever want, and very lightweight.

...That said, I got tired of hauling the "A rig" to informal jams and bought a Mesa Boogie Express. Can't say enough good things about it. Sounds great, lots of options, loud as you could ever want, and very lightweight.

Which one ( IIMA :D

I resurected an old Pearce just to see how it fairs after several years a way from it- GR1 preamp into that little 2 lb GK(?) bass head for power- Ist band practice tons-o fun, 2nd band (diff band, diff 'mix), eh not so fun. I've considered making a small/light combo out these parts.

Back