Amp modelling? Progression?

jimmyc

Hey I am a uni student in the uk and I am doing a presentation on what the affects of amp modelling are. Wether its progress or just trying to recreate the past? Is it really an advance in amp technology? any of your thoughts would be appreciated.

I see amp modeling as both an advance in guitar sound effects as well as an approach to simulate the past.

Initially there were just gutiars and amps, and not much selection. Then more models of each came out allows some variation in sound result.

In the 60's stomp boxes came out and allow a guitar player to modify his sound with a small foot controllable unit. Over the years many different stomp boxes came out offering a range of sound effects from overdrive to delays.

Amp modellers are the next step in this process, where a single device (like a Line 6 POD for example) included many options for sound effects, all done with digital technology.

With a POD you can dial in a variety of amps and speaker cabinets. Where the advance comes, is that multiple parameters allow the user to customize the result. The end result is an almost endless series of sounds based on thousands of combinations.

Ed

the ultimate trick with amp modeling...

will be to capture the air.

soundwaves, traveling through the air, and the way that interacts with the guitar itself, and the environment it's in....

that's the voodoo.

I think the ability it gives players to seek out a tone for them or for the song they are playing is an advance....I find the ability to change my sound gives me a breath of fresh air and can spark some real creativity. Of course in most things we look to the past for guidance and influence and often copy what once was, but our process of recreating will invariably create something that is not the same....and depending on what output you use for your modeller the sounds are still shaped by you...more options is better, as long as some of the options are worthy =)

I think Gonzo hit it on the head.

While amp modeling is certainly both an advance in technology as well as an attempt to recreate various historical amps - it still can't move air.

So like many "advances in tecnology" it creates a "hollow" form of the original.

Much like instant coffee and fast food and microwave meals - it provides a fast and easy meal (or in the case of amp models "ear candy") that makes us think we're getting a decent "meal" but when we sit down to "mom's home cooking" or fresh brewed coffee we realize that the instant stuff ain't as good as we thought.

That being said, I love the conveniance of all forms of technology and will often gladly accept the conveniance as a trade-off to quality.

The way most deal with this is to plug the amp modeller into an somewhat vanilla amp, and then mic the amp.

Ed

Back