amp modelers vs. the tubes

robert jaybird

there is only one reason i post this.after hearing all this hype about the pod, or the j-station.personally i appreciate the versatality of these devices.my only qualm is the hype that musicians actually buy.for the record anyone that says theyre pod sounds better than a matchless or a good mesa is friggin deaf.

I own a pod and i love it. but id rather have a v-twin as my pre amp than a pod anyday.of course recording direct is different, but id rather have an amp that gets one sound really good(fender twin) and work with that than have a universe of half baked modeling options.perhaps the pod driving the twin as a pre amp? uh not today cause im gonna get a fat creamy all tube sound with my prs into the v-twin.THE POD DOESNT REPLACE A TUBE AMP unless your hearing is severely damaged, or you have a marshall;).(your hearing may be damaged because you own a marshall actually).;)

my 2 cents,
robert jaybird

Words I love to hear.....:)

Robert, I don't think I could have ranted that any better then you did, so I will not dillute this thread with any of my own! :)

Oh the balls of a Triple Rectifier through a 1960 4X12 cabinet! :D

Ed

Bless your ears,men!
I've seen all these posts about how the pod and j-station and other modelled tones are "indistinguishable" from authentic tube tone and I just have to wonder,because I don't seem to have any problem telling the difference.
The new stuff is good,REAL good compared to the transisterized imitations of the near past.Just not good enough YET.I know some folks live in apt.s and want to track at 2:00 a.m. without the neighbors calling the law on them.Pod & co. are good for that.
But nothing yet replaces glowing glass for killer tone,dynamic responsiveness and harmonic content.
Tom

As the new owner of a Yamaha DG Stomp I would have to say I agree. Tubes have the feel and the sound that goes along with it.

Having said that, I AM one of those guys that tracks at 2am in my studio apartment, and this is the best tool I have bought in a long time.

(My glass is half empty AND half full... ;) )

and how do you get that V halen *brown sound* with one of these footstompers? They[modelers] all sound sooooooooooo thin compared to that.

I've never heard anyone say that amp simulations are better or give a more realistic tube sound than a real tube amp. However, EVERYONE reading this hears guitars on the radio everyday that were recorded using Sansamps and POD's and they can't tell the difference....and I include myself in that.

It puzzles me that it's accepted practice that bass players record d.i. but somehow if 6-string players do it, it seems to go against nature. Both instruments are just wood, steel strings, pick-ups, and weird voodoo science.

"and how do you get that V halen *brown sound* with one of these footstompers"

My suggestion would be to stalk EVH, hit him over the head with your Ernie Ball EVH model guitar, toss him in the trunk of your car, drive him to your apartment, and plug him into your footstomper.

My bet is that it will sound closer to his tone than any of us would sound playing through his rig.

As has been said MANY times (can we please kill this topic?), it's what you play, not what you play through.

(Is it warm in here? ;) )

I'm the owner of a Pod Pro and a nice little Mesa/Boogie. Does the Pod sound as good as my Boogie? Maybe my ears aren't as calibrated as some folks, but they're pretty close when recorded.

I get a kick when some of the seasoned folks start bashing the electronic gadgetry that's out there. While you, as a guitar virtuoso, can "hear" the difference, my bet is that your audience can't (nor do they care). They're listening to the tune, the hook, and they really don't care if it's coming from a Pod via PA or if you're pushing vintage Marshall cabs (although the latter looks much cooler).

So...I like my Pod...and my Boogie.

mesboogie

But that's what us musicians are here for,to listen better than other folks do!Just as a painter uses his eyes to see things most don't.So what if most peoples idea of fidelity is the little 3" speaker in their car?Somebody has got to set the standards and it might as well be us musicians,even if others never really hear or appreciate the sonic subtilties.
Tom

Holy Moly!!! Great Googily Moogily(sp)

Right on T Hicks, exactly the point. Since I've gotten my Mesa Boogie it has inspired me to play, practice and to some of the best solos I've ever played. God, if quality sound and music was left up to the fan or public where would we be? Actually right where we are. Modern pop music is totally being dictated by the non-musician. And look what it's gotten us. Britney Spears............

And now the real reason why the Pod and all the modeling gadget, and less than amps suck. If I had all the money back I spent on the "less than" gadgets and amps I could have bought a bunch of Boogies. I just recently got a Single Rectifier and TC electronics Gforce and it's the best setup I ever had and heard. The TC has some quarks but still blows the Digitech's and Line 6's away. Believe me save you money.

Back