Amp model plugins

adferrendelli

I was wondering, since i am not very happy with the distortion sound i am getting right now, about amp/guitar plugins in VST form. i have heard that there are some decent ones for free, but i dont know which ones are any good, or where to even find them.

also, when using these plugins, is it best to use the guitar as a direct in, or mic a clean amp and then add the plugins to the dry track?

I am using Cubase LE, and the plugins for distortion that came with it sound terrible, and using every possible combination i cant find out a way to make them sound decent, but that might just be me.

Here's one you can play with: Voxengo Boogex, I think is the correct name. It's free, just google the name. I plug my guitar direct into my recording interface and usually use Amplitube, and the distortion plugin that comes with Acid Home studio. Amplitube is expensive though. You can hear a couple of different guitar sounds done with just plugins and my Les Paul on "Suit and Tie" and one or two of the other songs here: http://www.myspace.com/lejaz

I"ve allways found that getting the guitar sound I want useing Modeling or Overdrive/Distortion Plugins was very hard ,Actually more than Hard , more like impossible....
I instead ended up focusing on getting the guitar sound I wanted out of my amp and then maybe cleaning it up and EQing it a bit with plugins....

Cheers

i've been using guitar rig 3 for a lil bit now (and of course gr2 before that), and the presets alone are great. creating your own is another fun part of the program.
use it for both guitars and bass now, love the sounds & it's fairly easy to use.

I'm not good with distortion BUT the Voxengo Boogiex (esp with the cab & mic modelling) is pretty good. they have another that's a tube OD too.

Back