amp for Shure SM57

VWesson

I'm looking for an amp for under a hundred bucks for a Shure SM57. I'm connecting this to my Audigy2 sound card, also what wires? Thanks in advance

I assume you mean a preamp....

In that price range, you're not gonna find much that's good. An ART Tube MP would work, but it's a shitty pre. I'd suggest an M-Audio DMP-3, though that's a little more that $100.

Last edited:
MadAudio said:
I assume you mean a preamp....

In that price range, you're not gonna find much that's good. An ART Tube MP would work, but it's a shitty pre. I'd suggest an M-Audio DMP-3, though that's a litle more that $100.
Sorry, yeah i mean preamp. I'm inexperienced in this department, so would the M-Audio DMP-3 still be a good choice for me? I want to do things right the first time, so i dont want to buy crappy equipment, or equipment which i dont know how to use correctly. It's going to be used for recording hip-hop on Adobe Audition, if that makes a difference. Also as a side question, what wires will i need to hook all this up to my audigy2(im assuming the mic and amp don't come with wires)?

VWesson said:
Sorry, yeah i mean preamp. I'm inexperienced in this department, so would the M-Audio DMP-3 still be a good choice for me? I want to do things right the first time, so i dont want to buy crappy equipment, or equipment which i dont know how to use correctly. It's going to be used for recording hip-hop on Adobe Audition, if that makes a difference. Also as a side question, what wires will i need to hook all this up to my audigy2(im assuming the mic and amp don't come with wires)?
The DMP-3 is an excellent entry-level preamp IMO. And while I've got a lot of recording experience under my belt, I use mine all the time and I've been very happy with it.

As for cables - for mic to pre you'll need an XLR cable, like this. I'm not familiar with your soundcard, though, so I don't know what kind of inputs it has.

Ok thanks for the help, originally i wanted to spend under 250 for everything including stand, so i'm going to think if its reasonable for me to raise my budget. In what way is the ART Tube MP shitty? This isn't going to be for any official cd's, just a hobby.

VWesson said:
Ok thanks for the help, originally i wanted to spend under 250 for everything including stand, so i'm going to think if its reasonable for me to raise my budget. In what way is the ART Tube MP shitty? This isn't going to be for any official cd's, just a hobby.
It has a cheap tube, and generally colors the sound in an unpleasant way. It makes a decent bass DI, though. You can swap out the stock tube for a better one, and that's an option you might consider. But like many of us here have come to learn - buy cheap and buy twice.

Indeed, the Tube MP is bad IMO as well. It just doesn't have "space". However, the ART MPA Gold is great! I was surprised...

i kind of like the tube mp with a decent tube in it. i've used it as an effect though for a sort of fuzzy compressed sound. the tube mp's i've tried have'nt been consistant with each other and i'd bet that different tubes in each is the reason.

the dmp3 is the way to go, on a low budget, for a clean preamp.

Last edited:
I don't think the tube MP with a 57 is a great rap combo either. In fact I don't think you'd be as happy with the 57 at all, but rather something like the AT2020, which is the same price. You will also need a pop filter, which on a good day you can score the Nady version for $10.

To hook the DMP3 to your soundcard, you need a 1/4" to 1/8" cable going into the line in of your soundcard. The DMP3 is a two-channel preamp, but I don't know if the Audigy has a stereo line in. If it does, you'd need a stereo Y cable to record two channels. Otherwise you will just be recording one channel which sounds like all you need anyway.

Cheaper than the DMP3 is the Audiobuddy. There is also the ART micromix, which I haven't used, and the Rolls MP13 which I would avoid at all costs.

mshilarious said:
I don't think the tube MP with a 57 is a great rap combo either. In fact I don't think you'd be as happy with the 57 at all, but rather something like the AT2020, which is the same price. You will also need a pop filter, which on a good day you can score the Nady version for $10.

To hook the DMP3 to your soundcard, you need a 1/4" to 1/8" cable going into the line in of your soundcard. The DMP3 is a two-channel preamp, but I don't know if the Audigy has a stereo line in. If it does, you'd need a stereo Y cable to record two channels. Otherwise you will just be recording one channel which sounds like all you need anyway.

Cheaper than the DMP3 is the Audiobuddy. There is also the ART micromix, which I haven't used, and the Rolls MP13 which I would avoid at all costs.
Ok, the Tube is out of the question then, i'll get the DMP3. As for the SM57...I've been doing some research and it seems like its a good mic for rap recording, and its been used for a long time. What would the AT2020 give me over the SM57? Thanks for your input man!

I would go with a SP VT1 and not mess with the ART they are both about the same price. For $100 the AT2020 is a good choice. That would probably meet your $250.00 quota. The AT2020 does not come with any type of mount dampening "noise isolation" so you'll have to be careful. I've use the mount from my AT4040 but it does not fit very well.

VWesson said:
What would the AT2020 give me over the SM57? Thanks for your input man!

The AT will give you much better high end response than the SM57. The SM57 will give you better isolation than the AT, mostly because it is much less sensitive so you will probably get right up on the mic to keep the levels high, which means room noise is relatively quiet.

Either mic will work . . .

mshilarious said:
The AT will give you much better high end response than the SM57. The SM57 will give you better isolation than the AT, mostly because it is much less sensitive so you will probably get right up on the mic to keep the levels high, which means room noise is relatively quiet.

Either mic will work . . .
I can't decide which one to buy. Same price, but different types of mics.

I'll chime in to recommend going with a condenser like the at2020 or at3035, which can be had for about $130 if you look. Also, the 3035 comes with a spider mount. If you can record in a booth....or even say a make shift booth using a matress in a corner, your vocals will have much more detail with this type of microphone. That being said, a talented vocalist will sound great through a 57 too, but why not stack the deck in your favor.

guttapercha said:
I'll chime in to recommend going with a condenser like the at2020 or at3035, which can be had for about $130 if you look. Also, the 3035 comes with a spider mount. If you can record in a booth....or even say a make shift booth using a matress in a corner, your vocals will have much more detail with this type of microphone. That being said, a talented vocalist will sound great through a 57 too, but why not stack the deck in your favor.
Aight thanks for all the help guys, looks like i'll be ordering the 2020 or 3035. Booth using matress huh, i'll look into that. It's better recording with headphones, correct? Thats how i've been doing it the past 2 years. Also, what cheap shockmount would people here recommend? Its a condenser, so im assuming i need a shock mount. One more thing, where is a good place to order the 2020, dmp3, stand, wires?

Ok ok last question. Would the Behringer UB802 be a good option? seems cheap and includes a mixer as well, it gets good reviews...would it be better for somebody who's short on money to get this preamp and have a mixer included in it?

Last edited:
Studio Projects VTB-1 I think is $88 at fullcompass if you CALL in your order. Its only one channel, but is on par with the DMP-3. For a mic I think maybe a KEL HM-1 would work, I have never tried one, but it always or almost always gets high marks http://www.kelaudio.com/hm1.html . Although mics are a VERY personal thing what works for someones voice might not work as well with another persons voice.

For a stand I strongly suggest the Tama mic stand found here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tama-MS205-Boom-Mic-Stand?sku=450200 Yes its almost half as much as you might spend on a mic, but the stand will probably out live what ever mic you go with in usefulness. Meaning as you get better you may start to want to upgrade things starting with your mic, well with the Tama mic stand you will probably still have it at that point and past that point.

For now get a cheap pro-co or whirlwind mic cable from fullcompass or ebay, that should be more then good enough (and should be less then $20), goodness knows I have $5 whirlwind cables that have been with me for a year now, and I will still have them 5 years from now, just take proper care of your cables and they will take care of you.

Then for your cable that goes from the preamp to your sound card get one of these: Hosa CMP-159, I am sure fullcompass has them. But really a question you should ask yourself now, do you want to stick with the semi-cruddy creative sound card, or step up to an entry level recording card like the M-Audio 24/96, should be able to get that under or at $99. For that you will need a different cable that goes from the preamp to the sound card, but we can direct you to that cable if you need it now or down the line.

Just my two cents...

Back