amp+eq+monitors usage question

jaun

hi,
I'm using a pair of Alesis Monitor Two, with and old Ken Brown amp, that has a simple 5 band eq section on it.

To listen to a recorded CD, I have to set the eq to the V position, in order to get a "fine" bass and high resolution.

Now, if i want to MIX music, shoudl I keep this V position or set it to flat ?

Please help,

thanks,

If I understand your question correctly, then the answer is 'no' you don't necessarily want to mix with the eq in the 'v' position. If you are talking about music that you have recorded, you know, playing instruments and such, then how your eq will be set will depend on how your tracks came out. Most people record their tracks with the eq flat, I do except for vocals, and then add eq as necessary when mixing. Recording tracks with the eq flat gives you more flexibility during mixdown. But there's other variables, such as how the actual instrument was EQed, you know a guitar amp, or whatever this will factor in.Also, if a guitar or bass is involved, which pickup you used (neck or bridge) and where the strings were struck (near the neck or near the bridge) all of this has an effect on EQ. That's why you can't just set your eq in the 'v' position and let it rip. Now when your through mixing, and you play your stuff back, then try the v position and see how you did.

On the other hand if you're refering to mixing, like a DJ mixes, then maybe someone else can help you.

Oops. My bad, Juan, I think I did misunderstand the question. Are you talking about the deck you're mastering to?

Back