amp deal (should i be worried?)

postalblue

i've got my eye on this tube amp on ebay that is going pretty cheap, and closing in a few hours, but the description says: Note: This amp is noisey when you first turn it on, but after it warms up for about 10 minutes, it behaves normally. I don't know if it needs a new tube, or to be biased, or what. Like I said, after about 10 minutes, it sounds PERFECT but I want to make sure there are no surprises. Please bid with this in mind... Cosmetically, the amp is in excellent condition. This is a great deal, and there's no reserve!

should i be worried? is it going to die on me soon or something like that? also, i'm having it shipped internationally, so that's another factor.

any input would be great.

I'd be looking at the tubes for the problem. I've got a '65 Bassman Blackface that does the same thing. After the tubes warm a bit and get the groove going, it quiets down. My biggest question would be, what's the seller's idea of 'normal'. The difference between the sound of a jet plane and a car is pretty damned significant. But neither are quiet.

BTW. That's a nice amp. It looks pretty clean. I'd want to see more pics of the back side and the electronics if I were you.

A common problem with electronics can be a poor soldering job. This happens when some solder joints get too much air(oxygen) inside it during the soldering process. This causes poor conductivity and as a result nois can be heard on the amp/speaker.

Now, I would never buy something with the problem you describe. What guarantee do you have that it will not get worse after a few months of use?

If it was under $200.00 then I would certainly take the gamble, but not otherswise.

Good luck.

thanks for that too, amt.
i already got another amp though. an ampeg reverbrocket for $350. i hope it`s a good deal.

I would watch out. It's hard to tell without hearing it, but you don't know which component needs to get warm before it starts working. Some things are cheap, some aren't.

From experience I have found lots of Fender tube amps have a rather long warm up time,although 10 minutes does seem to indicate there is something weak in the circuitry somewhere. It could be the amp needs retubed, tubes only last for so many hours of use and if pushed hard they expire sooner. I once had a similar problem on an old Silvertone tube amp, it turned out to be a cracked tube socket, not too major of a problem but a pain in the butt to install. Just my input, anyway if you get the amp i hope the problem is an easy fix.

thanks for all the replies, guys. as i mentioned, i didn't purchase the amp. i ended up getting an ampeg reverbrocket. i do plan to get myself a fender tube amp in the future. it's good to know all this. i should get some info about changing the tubes too, because i'm probably going to need it in the near future, as my crate amp is a little old.

i haven't actually played any of the two. i decided based on recommendations, since i can't really test a lot of different gear where i live.

Back