Amp + Computer = ?

elevate

I'm thinking about stuffing my computer into a rackmount case and was wondering if there any reasons I shouldn't put it near my amp? I wouldn't have thought so, but my amp makes my monitor kinda quiver a bit when I turn the amp on.

If you want to put your computer in a rackmount case, just make sure ir's not right next to the amp. Electrical noise is just one problem. Heat is perhaps a bigger problem. I would put the computer at the bottom, the amp at the top, and anything else (patchbays, effects, etc...) in the middle.

be careful...

Be careful, these are VERY noisy. You may have to spend more money to get silent power supply and silent fan. 3 weeks ago, I threw over 400$ (cad) in the trash cuz I bought a Rackmount Antec 4U20ATX350 and I cant use it. THis is very very noisy, and I cant get it back to the store. So I'm screwed.

dunno if I'm gonna invest an other 150$ to get a new fan and a new power supply, or if I'm gonna try to sell it... dunno :|

Last edited:
elevate said:
I'm thinking about stuffing my computer into a rackmount case and was wondering if there any reasons I shouldn't put it near my amp? I wouldn't have thought so, but my amp makes my monitor kinda quiver a bit when I turn the amp on.

Don't worry about the "quiver". That's just because it sucks the current out of the monitor temporarily. Not an indication of ongoing electrical interference.

And I LOVE my rack mount case- although I don't keep it in a rack case. LOL!

It's so Heavy Duty its case is good enough! And it's only as loud as the fans you decide to install in it.

The advice on heat was worth heeding. Heat rises. Computer on the bottom.

Re: Re: Amp + Computer = ?

drstawl said:
Don't worry about the "quiver". That's just because it sucks the current out of the monitor temporarily. Not an indication of ongoing electrical interference.

And I LOVE my rack mount case- although I don't keep it in a rack case. LOL!

It's so Heavy Duty its case is good enough! And it's only as loud as the fans you decide to install in it.

The advice on heat was worth heeding. Heat rises. Computer on the bottom.

hey dude, maybe you can help me then... witch fan and powersupply did you installed in?

Re: Re: Re: Amp + Computer = ?

Kryogh said:
hey dude, maybe you can help me then... witch fan and powersupply did you installed in?

I went with an Enermax, but E-mail Emeric. He found an even quieter one for a few more bucks: no black candles, spells or chicken-blood required! :D

Back