Amount of reverb applied

KaraokeKancer

I'm usually slappin tracks with 3-10% of various reverbs and that seems to work for me better than heavy amounts. Why do the wet/dry controls even go to completely wet when it just sounds like too much? Is there a useful application for this sound whether it be on guitar or drums or whatever that I'm not aware of? I don't know SH*T except for what I think sounds good. Also I'm new so hello.

because typically reverb is not put directly on the channel
i'm not sure what program you're using, but create an effect/aux track and put the reverb on that. then bus an aux send to the aux channel prefader.

this way you have two independent controls. the effected level, and the original dry track level. plus you also have control of how much of the dry track you're sending to the reverb. using auxes can give you so much more control over your mix.

also, you can create a STEREO aux track which is what reverbs should be used on anyway since they usually return stereo.

Doing it the way Benny said also allows you to send more than one track to the same reverb. Very useful for something like a drum kit. Also save on CPU processing power needed to mix.

Another feature is that you can process the aux send (e.g. EQ or compress the send to the reverb) allowing for further options.

Also if you are mastering more than one track you don't need as many EQs :) [see sosob stuff]

Sosob

Yeah, I read that sosob thread where he was all, you guys suck listen to me as I disrespect your art and claim to have found THE PATH and you guys were all like, shut up you a!@hole, you don't know what you are talking about and it's obvious. Man, what the hell was that guy's problem. I mean, I read Walter Sear's "What have they done to my art" articles, too. But that doesn't mean you get to go around telling people they are wrong when from what I get from cruising around is this is set up to attain and bring together information rather than disclude techniques that you can learn from and if you don't like it, oh well. And I did try what you said and I'm happy of the results. You were 100% right about having more control over the sounds of each track. Thanks.

Yeah, i'm new to this

Can this technique be of any real use with other effects? Like, instead of reverb, I want better control of a limiter or I've got a chorus I want on a couple guitar runs but the same exact dry/wet setting isn't kickin ass for all of em at the same time?

technically you can do whatever the hell you want.

however a general rule that a lot of people use is put dynamic based effects (limiter, eq, compressor) on an insert....put time based effects (reverb, delay, chorus, etc.) on an aux.

Back