AMD 760/761 ChipSet

Boots

It seems that a lot of Audio I/O devices have issues with the VIA Chipset. I am specing out an AMD system and wondering if the AMD 760/761 Chipsets support U133 IDE Interface?

I have noticed that most of the VIA chipset motherboards do. I haven't noticed any motherboards with the AMD 760/761 chipsets (at least not yet) that support U133. They just support U100.

Thanks.

Scott

That is correct.
The AMD760's southbridge (AMD766) does not support ATA133.

There may be some AMD760 motherboards with ATA133 support but those will have an extra IDE controller (probably by Promise or Highpoint) integrated on the board.

Thanks for the info.

I wonder if it's safe to go with a VIA Chipset? MOTU claims that the post-1999 VIA Chipsets are compatible with their drivers.

What sucks is that you want a fast chipset. Chipsets have a huge impact on system speed/performance. And the AMD chipsets get excellent reviews and benchmarking results.

Thanks Again.

And the AMD chipsets get excellent reviews and benchmarking results.
Actually, VIA chipsets perform better than the AMD chipsets. That said, I'm buying an AMD chipset mobo for my next rig.

I emailed M-Audio techs before I got my delta 1010 and this is what they said.

I moved from the Via chipset to Intel and its a world of difference.. I had the latest drivers and had it tweaked and it still sucked for me. Spend a few extra bucks and get stability and get with the P4B266. You wont regret it.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 4:09 PM
To: marcomb@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: [SUPPORT-FORM] from marcomb@mindspring.com via www.midiman.net

Hello Jeff ,

We recommend an ASUS P4B or ASUS P4B266 with a Pentium 4 CPU
or

ECS KT7A or ASUS A7A with an AMD Thunderbird or XP CPU

The main thing to look for is on a motherboard is the type of chipset on the board. We do not recommend Via chipsets at all. If your using an AMD CPU we recommend an AMD, SIS, or ALI chipset. If your using a Pentium, we recommend an Intel chipset.

Dave

SiS all the way for me with audio...

I switched to ECS K7S5A w/ SiS735 chipset after having problems with VIA... it is true that many hardware places rank the VIA chipsets on the top, but you must remember these places are testing systems most of the time for gaming and not audio production.

I just recently switched from a via chipset to the AMD760 and love it. I am using an ABIT KG7 RAID Mobo with AMD XP 1900+.

6 PCI
1 4X AGP
4 DDR Ram Slots (up to 4GB)
4 USB
2 U100 IDE
2 IDE RAID
2 Serial (Remember them?)

Back