amateur: best audio card for capturing old tape?

webcap

I used an Audiophile 2496 audio card hooked up to a Eurorack UB1002 mixer a few years back to capture some old audio tapes containing family interviews. I've now come back to continue the project to find the Audiophile will not install correctly on my old WinXp sp3 system. I want to replace the card so that I can continue to capture, using the mixer to get the best quality, into the PC for editing and archiving.
Can anyone recommend a soundcard that would work with this mixer (the input is from a tape deck)? If there is nothing for XP, I also run a Win8.1 system (according to the Audiophile site, there are no drivers for this card with this OS).
Many thanks.

You can get an Emu 0404--unbalanced ins and outs, it should work. Look on Ebay. They might still sell them at places like Guitar Center. They should be about $50.00 or so, used. Remember, though, that support for XP is gone, though the install for the 0404 should be okay. Or, spring for some more dough (under $200.00 to be sure) and get the Emu 1212. That will definitely get it done.

M-Audio - Acclaimed audio interfaces, studio monitors, and keyboard controllers

All the drivers you need are there^

I have 3 2496 cards and have never had any problems with XP, W7 or even WMCE which was not officially supported!

I suggest you pull the card then run a cleaner to remove all traces of old drivers. Refit card then try again with a freshly dldd driver.

Note, the first run of the Delta software cleans out old drivers you then need to run it again. Also try the card in a different PCI slot if you have one.

Dave.

Many thanks, all.

I'm afraid I've tried everything suggested over the past eight months with two different XP sp3 machines, with the same result - drivers install, but the card does not appear in device manager no matter which PCI slot it's in. And both PCs were completely new XP instals. I've used the most recent drivers from the M-Audio site, which don't install, the only ones that do are those on the CD that came with the card originally. I've emailed M-Audio support, who were not very prompt, but finally did reply saying exactly what's been suggested here. I've also installed in both orders - software first then card, and the reverse. No difference - nothing seems to work, hence the huge frustration. And even though I'm loathe to spend more money, there seems to be no other choice as the original audio tapes are now 25+ years old and, I'm sure, won't be playable for much longer.

Thanks for the suggestion TimN.

Ecc83,
which drivers to you use - the most recent or the originals?

Many thanks.

Hi Tim,
I use the latest drivers from M-A.

Have you tried anything else in the PCI slots? I am thinking something switched off in BIOS?

Our man here Mr Chili might shed some light there.

If you want a "quick and dirty" solution buy a Behringer UCA 202/222!

Where are you Tim?

Dave.

Took a smudge from my old XP puter in the living room and attached it.
Don't know if the PnP in BIOS shown might be moot?

Dave.

Attachments

• PnP BIOS.png
    PnP BIOS.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
Back