Am I the only one who needs a nice desk?

jazzhooves

i have been looking around for a desk that offers 2 tiers, about 2 metres wide and looks nice (preferably stainless steel frame with oak surfaces).
Does anyone know of anything that isnt going to set me back over £600
The quicklock stands are hideous and do not offer a good amount of space.

If my search fails I am going to seriously get some plans drawn up and get one into manufacture!

Anyone?

This is probably going to be of no use to you, but hey, I'm bored :p

I spent ages looking for a reasonably priced-desk (I could afford) that would look ok in my bedroom and that was wide enough to fit my large multi-monitor setup. Out of sheer desperation - for some reason desks over 1.8m wide are just unheard of in about 99% of places - I ended up going for one of the modular Ikea offerings.

It isn't made out good quality materials, it was hideously difficult to fit in the car and it doesn't have two tiers. It required me to spend an hour fighting my way through Ikea like a sheep to get it... and once again when I missed out a leg the first time... and then more time to put it together, however now that is all in the past I've found I actually quite like it.

As for what it is... well, it is 2.2m wide and about 1m deep, surprisingly sturdy the size and structure / support, feels good quality once its set up, and most of all it was cheap! Can't remember exactly how much it cost, but I think it wasn't somewhere far either side of £200.

I also noted at the time that its part of one of their popular ranges which they are more than likely going to continue producing for at least the next few years, so if the surface were to ever wear out (the laminate can go horrible after a while) or I managed to break it in any way, I could buy a new surface for something like £40 and fit it in about 10 minutes.

So yea, I'd recommend you have a look at some of the 'cheap-and-cheeful' solutions. I think you're going to be paying more than £600 to get something off-the-shelf that meets your specifications, or as you said be be looking to have one custom made.

Last edited:
Oh dear, you have really done it, IKEA! no way. I'd prefer to chew off my leg before attempting to shop in that place.

No, I think you are right, I am going to have to explore the custom made job. My initial drawings allow my design to be adjusted so that the desk can move from a 2m wide desk to a 1m wide desk, but of course, you would need a new set of wooden work surfaces.

Is anyone else finding locating a desk hard? and if so, are you interested in more details of I start to cost up the manufacture of a special desk.

My sizes so far (main desk pannel) 2m wide, 750mm deep
top counter shelp 2m wide, 400mm deep (should accomodate yamaha HS80m)
and many other speakers, along with 1 30" monitor and apple mac powerbook (for those who use one).

This leaves the main desk area of 2m x 750mm deep for keyboard, mixer and other bits...
Am i missing anything do you think?

Best wishes

Leigh

Back