Am i stuck with vst plug-ins?

goodstudios

recently expanded my studio to allow our group to get and do some work. I'm not happy with the vocals... let me say, it's not the vocalists fault... my bride is off the charts... anyway, (you can check out some of our stuff at reverb nation... just look for "Good4U" Now on with my delima.... I would like to use some of my analoge effects.... can I do that post recording? I'm using Traction with a Mackie 1640/w firewire. Let's start there.

I assume by Mackie 1640 you mean the Onyx rather than the VLZ. You certainly can use analog effects, but need an interface with more than two channels from the software to an analog output. The Onyx will only send two channels out from the computer, and those two channels are used for the mix from your software.

The good news is that unless you have some pretty special analog effects they can be done as well or better in the computer.

the board is firewire equipped so my Onyx interface is now gathering dust. Or... are you saying the onyx control panel???? Sorry, this is all still a little new to me. Congrats... you are my first response :-) my qwest has taken me here... found the forum... wow.... there are a lot of us out there doing this stuff.

the board is firewire equipped so my Onyx interface is now gathering dust. Or... are you saying the onyx control panel???? Sorry, this is all still a little new to me. Congrats... you are my first response :-) my qwest has taken me here... found the forum... wow.... there are a lot of us out there doing this stuff.

There's more than one "Mackie 1640". I'm assuming your mixer is the Mackie Onyx 1640 rather than the Mackie 1640 VLZ. The Onyx boards have the Firewire option, the VLZs do not.

Great music, goodstudios!
Vocals seem to be too midrangey for my taste (sometimes the mix is overall too midrangey), pulling back around 3khz might help.

What is your vocal recording chain?

Yes it is the Onyx 1640... well... I guess I just need to know of a good reverb plug in... currently using "classic reverb" it was a free download...

Ok... so I should rename this thread to say something like, "Being stuck with VST plug-ins isn't all that bad if it's the right one" or..... it could read, "VST Plug-ins are a lot like marriage, it can be really good if it's the right one"!!!! Thanks for the help. After several weeks of tweeking.... I just went into the studio and uploaded Ambience and Glace... I threw em on one tune and like it a lot... uploaded it to our reverb nation site for your listening pleasure... We are Good4u and the tune is called "There Will Come a Day" put yer ear on it and tell me whatchya think.

Thanks for the vote!!! I just recently realized that I was using eq all wrong........ so I'll be cleaning those up a bit... just put one out there on our reverb nation site... we are good4u and the tune is "There Will Come a Day"..... let me know if ya think I'm on the right tract.... thanks a bunch.

Hunt down EpicVerb as well... worth a listen. Another freebie... the GUI is more numbers, less knob position, which works for me...

Back