am I introducing latency ?

expatCanuck

Greetings -

I have a Symetrix 302, which feeds a Delta 44 into my PC, and record using Audacity.
I monitor via a mobilePre USB.

Like this:
currentSetup.jpg

I *don't* have Audacity play back the track I'm recording.

Am I introducing unnecessary latency by using the mobilePre for monitoring and,
if so, would it be preferable to have the Delta 44 feed a headphone amp,
and monitor that way?

Thanks.

- Richard

I don't really understand why you would be using both the delta 44 and the MobilePre.

The delta 44 has 4 outs. So, you could hook up your monitors and your headphone amp. I don't see any reason to use the MobilePre other than maybe if you have a laptop and you're going to be recording in different locations. Both say "Zero-latency monitoring", if you're getting latency it's because they weren't meant to be set up like that.

I don't really understand why you would be using both the delta 44 and the MobilePre.

The delta 44 has 4 outs. So, you could hook up your monitors and your headphone amp. I don't see any reason to use the MobilePre other than maybe if you have a laptop and you're going to be recording in different locations. Both say "Zero-latency monitoring", if you're getting latency it's because they weren't meant to be set up like that.
Phil -

Point well-taken. You're quite right. There's a simple explanation.

I bought the mobilePre when I started recording a couple years or so back.
Found the mobilePre preamps wanting, so I bought a the Symetrix 302
and the Delta 44 used on fleaBay. Much cleaner recording chain --
a well-spent ~$225.

But I don't (yet) own a headphone amp or a Y-cable, and I'm a cheap s.o.b.,
so (thus far) I've been using the mobilePre to monitor output.

I suppose I could sell it on eBay and buy a Y-Cable and headphone amp.

- Richard

Last edited:
It's a cheap fix man. Under 10 bucks at radio shack and you're good to go. You could sell the MobilePre on Ebay or Craigslist and then turn around and buy a headphone amp with a nice set of headphones :D

I personally think the Delta 44 is the better setup just because those Delta series sound cards really have Zero-latency and solid drivers. I've used a few of them a lot of times, not just a few times, and they aren't too shabby.

Back