Am i getting the right setup for my money!!

VHrecording

Hey everyone just looking for some of the home recording masters to check over my gear list before i go and order it and find that im getting the right stuff.
Im recording my own band (Heavy Rock to Heavy Metal) with a 7 (3 toms, snare, 2 Floor toms, 1 kick) peice drum kit, 2 guitarists, 1 Bassist, 1 Vocalist. I will be overdubbing the tracks.

My gear is:

M-Audio Project Mix i/o
Pro Tools M-powered
1x Rode Nt1a
1x Shure SM57
4x Sennheiser E604
1x AKG D112
2x Rode NT5 (pair)

I already own:
2x DB tech opera 415 Powered Speakers
Yamaha 16 channel Mixer
1x Beta 58
1x SM58

Thx for your time.

Last edited:
Looks good.

I don't see you'll have a use for the Yamaha mixer and I'd recommend getting some monitors designed more for critical listening (I assume the ones you have are primarily for live sound?).

Do you have headphones? You'll need a decent pair of closed back headphones if you're doing overdubs (and they're always good for checking your mix), a few pairs will come in handy if you want to record any parts simultaneously.

You'll also want to take a look at acoustics if you haven't already.

Otherwise it looks like you're good to go.

Sweet good to hear
I meant to mention that i already have my monitors and headphones.
Im building the studio from scratch so ill definatly look at acoustics.

On another note im also looking at buying Izotope Ozone 3, Spectron and Trash. Ive read good reviews about them. Could i get some feedback from someone whose used them.

Thx for the reply

1x Rode Nt1a
1x Shure SM57
4x Sennheiser E604
1x AKG D112
2x Rode NT5 (pair)

I already own:
2x DB tech opera 415 Powered Speakers
Yamaha 16 channel Mixer
1x Beta 58
1x SM58

Thx for your time.

those are good mics, if you are going to mic up every drum i would recommend:

1) after recording drums bring all the fader down to zero

2) raise the over heads and mix em like they are the only two mics you are using

3) the add the kick to get the right amount of punch

4) then bring in the snare, mix those four tracks till you are happy with the sound

5) if needed bring in the toms a little at a time

drum micing with 8-10 mic can be great for a veteran engineer, but not a good place to start for a begineer.

--mike--

Back