Am I doing the right thing?

I plan on attending IUPUI majoring in Music Technology next year. My audition is Friday (on jazz guitar) and I see no problems with it. But I want to know what you think about this schooling. I had planned on Majoring in Recording Arts at Indiana University, but I only got accepted to IU, not the Jacobs School of Music there (they only accept 17 recording arts majors a year), so thats why I chose IUPUI ( A family connection gets me half price tuiton at either IU or IUPUI). While IU's program is focused more on recording, the music technology program at IUPUI is more broad: the first two years is basically musicianship, which I really look forward to on guitar, the second two years is more technology geared. It is broad in that it encompasses software design, hardware development, media, production, recording, songwriting, etc. I am worried that I may not get enough experience in Recording from IUPUI, which is what I really want. I could always reapply to IU next year or transfer if I want too. Money is not really an issue because I have a 12000 scholarship and half price tuition. What would you do? Has anyone experienced a college major like either of these?
Thanx and sorry for the long post,
James

I plan on attending IUPUI majoring in Music Technology next year. My audition is Friday (on jazz guitar) and I see no problems with it. But I want to know what you think about this schooling. I had planned on Majoring in Recording Arts at Indiana University, but I only got accepted to IU, not the Jacobs School of Music there (they only accept 17 recording arts majors a year), so thats why I chose IUPUI ( A family connection gets me half price tuiton at either IU or IUPUI). While IU's program is focused more on recording, the music technology program at IUPUI is more broad: the first two years is basically musicianship, which I really look forward to on guitar, the second two years is more technology geared. It is broad in that it encompasses software design, hardware development, media, production, recording, songwriting, etc. I am worried that I may not get enough experience in Recording from IUPUI, which is what I really want. I could always reapply to IU next year or transfer if I want too. Money is not really an issue because I have a 12000 scholarship and half price tuition. What would you do? Has anyone experienced a college major like either of these?
Thanx and sorry for the long post,
James

The reason why you haven't received a response to your post is probably because you are asking an impossible question.

How can anyone here advise you on what is best for you? What I would do has no relevance to what you would do, because my situation, circumstances, ambitions and abilities are different, and so would everyone else's.

This is a question you can really only answer yourself. There are a variety of ways you can use to make the answers a little easier to find. For example, draw up a list of pros and cons, or do what's called a 'SWOT analysis' (SWOT = strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Draw up four columns with these headings and make notes in each). You can talk it over with someone who is familiar with your goals, aspirations and skills and abilities. But you can't expect anonymous people to jump into your shoes and think with your brain.

The reason why you haven't received a response to your post is probably because you are asking an impossible question.

How can anyone here advise you on what is best for you? What I would do has no relevance to what you would do, because my situation, circumstances, ambitions and abilities are different, and so would everyone else's.

This is a question you can really only answer yourself. There are a variety of ways you can use to make the answers a little easier to find. For example, draw up a list of pros and cons, or do what's called a 'SWOT analysis' (SWOT = strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Draw up four columns with these headings and make notes in each). You can talk it over with someone who is familiar with your goals, aspirations and skills and abilities. But you can't expect anonymous people to jump into your shoes and think with your brain.

Thanks Gecko,
Point taken. I guess I'm just really torn between what I should do, since it's kind of an important decision you kno? I didn't really realize at the time that it was kind of non-sensical to ask something like that. Was also really hoping that maybe someone had experienced a similiar situation and had some decent advice on what they did, or maybe someone who had went to either of the schools. Perhaps my question should of been rephrased,
anyway,
I think the best thing I can do is go to the music program I'm actually accepted to and move on from there.
Thanks again for your very logical advice,
James

Back