• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (AT4060 is good tho)

• No (Rode K2 is good tho)

• Total voters

kkh961216

Hi guys! I just registered, and it's my first time here, so again, hi!

I've recently had my parents grant me 2k for home recording setup (mostly for me, but for them as well). That's a lot of money for a 15 year old to manage, but my parents aren't too good with these kinda stuff so I went and researched, and ended up with the following. Are they a good choice? Or any other recommendations that will suit the allocated money? My biggest worries are with the "AT4060 or Rode K2?" and "is that package good enough?". I think the audio interface is well chosen.

AMS Deluxe Recording Support Package
Tascam Neo 2488 Audio Interface
Rode K2 or AT4060

It won't let me post links, but they can be found at americanmusical (com)
I will be recording vocals. (pretty high tenor)
Would there be any other AI better for a cheaper price?

If all of the above are poorly chosen, what would you recommend?

Do you have a computer?
If so an interface would be better than the Neo in my opinion. Especially if youre just starting. Leaves you flexible and leaves a lot of your budget open.

Do some reading before buying anything - read the sticky-ed threads at the top of this section of the forum. The Tascam is not an interface, its a stand-alone recorder. The 'recording package' - those monitor speakers are probably not all that great - is likely not much of a deal. You can find mic stands, pop filters and cables on sale everywhere for low prices.
How many mics do you need - what are you recording and how many tracks to you want to record simultaneously?

Hi! Thanks for the replies! Now I'm confused- Tascam's not a AI? in that case, any recommendations?
And I only need one mic for myself (vocals), and I'm stuck between 4060 and K2. For tracks, I guess around 8 or a bit more...
And yes, I have a computer, but I would prefer to use one that functions by itself.... but yes, I have one without firewire.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit3: I'm about to settle with the same deluxe package, AT4060 or Rode K2, and tascam us-1800 USB2.0. Is this a good idea?

Last edited:
an interface would be better than the Neo in my opinion.

I'm confused- Tascam's not a AI? in that case, any recommendations?
Though not technically an interface, the Neo can be used as one. RAMI used to record his stuff exclusively on it's forerunner and those recordings {and the songs themselves} are fantastic. Then he started mixing in Reaper, but still using the 'Neo' {well, the forerunner to the Neo} moreorless as an interface and the songs are still hot. A number of standalones can be used as sort of interfaces. You still have to transfer the tracks to computer but depending on the DAW, there are means and ways.
I guess as a standalone user, I'm biased but I think they are still excellent value, both for money and in terms of cutting your teeth in recording. I don't dispute for a moment that in terms of recording at this point in the 21st century, the computer is kingpin. But it's by no means the only road that has a scenic route.

Thanks! But it does seem like a standalone costs quite more than an interface.... Is there a difference in sound quality between a standalone and an interface?
Also, any opinions on the K2 or 4060?

Thanks! But it does seem like a standalone costs quite more than an interface.... Is there a difference in sound quality between a standalone and an interface?
Also, any opinions on the K2 or 4060?
I know nothing about the K2 or the 4060, I'm afraid. Possibly not very helpful, but I'm of the opinion that you should follow your inclination and buy the mic that appeals to you. Whichever one you choose, only you can know if it'll be right for you. And what's right today might not be in a years time. Also, different peoples' tastes vary. Some might hate your choices of mics but you might love it.
People often jest about acquiring too much gear as a home recorder, but gear addiction underscores a reality for many, namely that as you progress, you want to try different things and different 'tools' help you in this. When I started multitracking 20 years ago, I had a 4 track portastudio, 2 AKG mics, a couple of stands, a set of bongos and congas, a clavinet, a drumkit, double bass, mandolin, acoustic guitar and fretless bass and a bass amp. Over the years I have gone through oodles of changes, sometimes precipitated by the limitations of the gear, sometimes by sheer curiosity, sometimes by the living situation {babies being born, neighbours and all that}. It was 17 years before I used condenser mics. I've gone from acoustic drums to electric drums and back to acoustic. 12 string guitar. 5 string bass. VSTis. 4 track to 8 track cassette portastudio to 12 track DAW. And so much more. A few acquisitions turned out to be duds but 97% of the time, what I bought, I got the most out of for years.
As for standalones costing more than interfaces, they do because they are an all in one machine. You record on them, edit on them and mix on them. Whereas an interface is just a mechanism for getting your sounds into the computer. The Zoom R24 might be a good solution as it is both an interface and a standalone recorder so you're getting the best of both worlds.
But yeah, make a decision, go with it and make great music. You're young enough to become really good at this by the time you hit official adulthood.
Always keep this in mind - there will be frustrations. But the fun should well outweigh any of that.

WOW! That's a LOT of experience you have! Actually, you have more experience with music than I have been alive for :3 The mic the appeals to me is 4060 because it looks cooler, and aesthetics matter a lot to me... That Zoom R24 looks really cool, and from this, I narrowed it down to the M-Audio Zoom package and Rode K2, or Tascam 1800 package and AT4060.... I wonder which one would be better.... As a first timer, this is a really tough choice for me :/

The Zoom's features are VERY appealing.... but I think all of that could be done on the PC with the interface.... This is honestly a very difficult choice :/

That's the thing. There is so much choice available. It's like wanting to buy a bar of chocolate in London. One is overwhelmed by how much choice there is.
That said, it doesn't really matter what you pick. What matters is what you do with what you pick.

Back