Am i bypassing the mbox 2 pres if...

guitarmagic

Hey guys, I've found great info on bypassing the mbox 1 pres but i can't seem to find much on the mbox 2. I purchased an mbox 2 mini last week to be able to mix in pro tools. I than realized that i've fallen in love with pro tools and i'm now mixing in pro tools and tracking in ableton live.

I want to accualy record in pro tools when i have hip hop artists come in or something that doesnt need more than two inputs. I want to use the pres on my mackie 24/8 instead of the pres on the mbox. If i connect bus 7/8 to the inputs on the mbox from my mackie and i have the gain at zero on the mbox, i would use the gain from the busses on my mackie. I've tried this and it works... i'm just curious if i'm accualy bypassing the pres on the mbox?

Now for the second question... how are the converters in the mbox compared to my motu 24i? Are they decent enough to mix through and record through? I don't want to lose a lot of quality when using the mbox compared to my motu.

Sorry if this has been covered but i didn't find much info on it. Thanks.

i'm just curious if i'm accualy bypassing the pres on the mbox?

are you plugging in via TRS? and are you setting the channel input to Line on the Mbox 2? If not...do.

I have not seen a signal path diagram for the Mbox 2, but I would assume that if you have set the input to Line and are still able to adjust volume control on the front...then yes, it's still passing through the pres on the Mbox 2. It's just probably adding a pad on the front end so you don't distort.

Now for the second question... how are the converters in the mbox compared to my motu 24i? Are they decent enough to mix through and record through? I don't want to lose a lot of quality when using the mbox compared to my motu.

do they sound good to YOU?

I have it plugged in via trs and its a line/di input so yes. And i can still adjust the volume via the mbox but i keep it at zero.

And it sounds fine to me i just wanted another opinion.

If memory serves me right even when the line input is selected there is variable gain, leading me to believe that there is no analogue way of getting a signal into the mbox without passing thru its pres.

the best way to ensure that the signal doesn't pass through the pres is to use the digital inputs on the mbox2 - there are a few different pres out there to match various wallets with s/pdif outputs. You can also take the clock in the mbox2 out of the equation using this method.

Oh well i guess its not that bad that i have to go through the pres of the mbox. I still get good quality and i don't notice much of a difference.

My mbox doenst have digital outs because its the mbox mini.

Back