am I a mixing moron?

rats

Here's another shot at the title :( . Sybil Starvoid....
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1155&alid=-1

I want to blame it on the lack of a decent set of monitors in my studio space, but for the life of me, my mixes sound good in the van! I just can't please the golden ears around here!;)

Seriously though, I always learn something good from you guy's critique so please don't hold back. This one I think is really complete. The drums have been played by the real drummer, and I think all of the parts are here. The final product of this will be mixed by a pro, but I wanted to take my hand at it and get some feedback on my crappy ass recording and mixing skills! I really like this song but I didn't write it (sucks). I think this'll prove to be one of the bigger hits on the LP.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Okay, lmao...here's my question. In what alternate universe does your van exist such that these 2 mixes sound even REMOTELY similar?... (little tiny jab from one of the "plastic ears" around here).

Agreed, vocal level = good on this one.

Personally, I'd like some more midrange in the mix...It sounds like my mixes when I turn up the Sonic Maximizer to 6 on the lows and the highs :D

Actually, it gets more balanced when the drums come in.

Whoa...is that a guitar??? FUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ... I'm not knocking it at all, just a bizarre sound, pretty cool actually...I'd kill it quicker...starts just sounding like hiss after awhile.

ANYWAY, bottom line is that on both of these tunes, mixing preferences aside, the tracks are obviously recorded well...so it's just a matter of hitting the middle of the road somewhere.

Overall a decent song. Interesting vibe to it.

A personal thing, but I think the delay on the vocal is a bit too thick. I think you have a good singing voice, and it doesn't need all the effects you've put on it.

The mix is real "bass heavy." Maybe a bit overly so. I liked the bass part itself though.

I liked the change up at 3:37. The vocals get a little lost in that section though.

The guitar coming in at about 4:15 is a bit too over-distorted. Too buzzy for me.

Little "snap" or something at :15.

emineminem: thanks for the listen, it makes me happy that you found it interesting.:D There is no "delay" on the vocals, just a fine smattering of Waves Trueverb:eek: I guess you don't like that sort of crap.;) Also, this here isn't me singing, my droog Bryan does this one. The bass heavy thing is a definite concern at this point! There is no such thing as over distorted! The "snap" is supposed to be there. It's an "effect":)

CH: Here we go. :p Thanks. No you've got good ears, and it sounds like some decent speakers. Let me give you the run-down on what I listen to this stuff on:

In the studio: a set of stereo speakers that the whole stereo probably cost $100 new 8 years ago
In the van: whatever comes stock in the 1996 Honda Odyssey
at work: your typical $10 pair of PC speakers

Really the van is the place to hear this stuff, and I did notice a little heavy on the low-end today, but overall pretty good. Huh. Also noticed the fuzzy guits a little hissy too, there is a slight snowball's chance in the clinic that I may redo those. Bastards:D
Slight though. :p

Man, this is really good tunage. The mix levels seem good but something down low feels a little tubby on my system. It feels like the bass response is pushing and trying to woof (woof??). I think it may be the acoustic but I'm not sure. I like this one best of the your stuff I've heard.

I concure!This is a cool tune w/ some cool sounds,but some of that fuzz left me wondering if there's something wrong with my speakers.

Are you sure this isn't a Pink Floyd song? Oh well. I like the song, but I only listened in lo-fi so my ears have been heinously lied to. Not that I know the difference.

Great tune man, really diggin it. I think the song is getting distorted somewhat, but I like the underlying idea. This song has a shade of Floyd to it, but it really reminds me more of Robyn Hitchcock.

Right on! I'm on the lady's laptop right now but I will for sure download it at work tomorrow and burn it to a CD! I'll do the A/B thing in the van on the lunch. You are a whack individual!:D

*edit*
this post sounds stupid now because chrishairy deleted his post. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I like the mix the way it is now.

The few minor things I would change:

- If you eq'd the highend on the cymbals, I think it's a bit too much, especially when the full drumkit kicks in. If you didn't EQ them, maybe drop the levels a little on them and use a touch of EQ to tame them a bit. It's mostly the high-hat (sizzle) and ride (sizzl'ish) that bugs me, maybe you have some individual control on the hats.

- The kick could come a little, I think it's supposed to be more implied then heard, but just a few notches wouldn't wreck it.

- Main acoustic might be a hair loud.

- Vocals are excellent.

- Song is great.

Nice stuff RATS

Thanks for the listens!

Emeric- I do have some control of the hats/ cymbals. Will look at that. The kick and the snare on the same track, and I was actually thinking the kick was too LOUD at least at the end anyway. You're talking about in the beginning? I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

Khompewtur: Thanks man, Robyn Hitchcock, eh? Wasn't he in the Soft Boys? I've been wanting to pick up some of that stuff...

mbuster: mbuster, nope not a Floyd song, but yeah it does have a bit of that sound in the first part, which is not a bad thing!

beezel: thanks man. Did you know fuzzy wuzzy was a bear?

tracky: thanks, glad you like! It's good because I didn't write it! Actually, my contributions were minor; the spacey intro, the spacey distorted guitar fills through the beginning, the rotary speaker guitar in the build up, and the fuzzy guitar everyone hates!

Hey man,
Good tune but my monitors started to rattle off the shelf from that super heavy bass tone....
wow!....sort of creeps up on you through the tune....
it really seems to take over...builds and builds then fades..
The mix comes clean at 3:35...then back to that bassy boom....

long tune dude...do you play this live?

Joe

My monitors are rattling too. Never have before, ever.

There is lots of low end in that acoustic that is working its way through the reverb. Might want to get rid of some of that. Maybe a "pre fader" track or its own reverb.

That "fizzy-buzzy" electric rhythm part toward the end is annoying the hell out of me - but that's a good thing. It does seem to be eating up a lot of the frequecy range though - it seems to be leaving only the very highs for the drums. The drums really lost their body at around 4:16.

Really good stuff though. I like this a lot. You ever play the Elow Room in Ypsi? I'd go check you out.

fprod south said:
My monitors are rattling too. Never have before, ever.

There is lots of low end in that acoustic that is working its way through the reverb. Might want to get rid of some of that. Maybe a "pre fader" track or its own reverb.

That "fizzy-buzzy" electric rhythm part toward the end is annoying the hell out of me - but that's a good thing. It does seem to be eating up a lot of the frequecy range though - it seems to be leaving only the very highs for the drums. The drums really lost their body at around 4:16.

Really good stuff though. I like this a lot. You ever play the Elow Room in Ypsi? I'd go check you out.

No we haven't played the Elbow Room yet but it's on the to do list fer sher. Thanks for the feedback. I REALLY need a decent pair of monitors 'tseems cuz I just don't hear what you cats are all saying and that's BAD!

joro yeah we play this live, actually get a few to sing along. It's a fun live tune, the end part is generally played a little faster live.

Thanks all!

Cool tune!
I liked the opening synth,sounded like a keyboard version of a talkbox.

I'm listening on headphones,but it sounds like the vox/acoustic guitar/bass are competing and mudding it up some.
Little heavy on the low end too.

A fine tune,I dig the vibe.
You definitly have the Pink Floyd thing going on.
Nice vocals!
Are they doubled?

Pete

Back