Alvarez Ad70s

vbass62

Att. Acoustic Guitarists:
I've been noticing a lot of brand new Alvarez AD70S's on eBay at around $200.00. This sounds like a good deal but since I live in California and there are no authoried dealers, I can't take one out for a test drive. I know they (Alvarez) have a pretty good rep. and a friend of mine had one years ago that was nice. What do you think. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I recenltly returned (2) Alvarez AD60SC's for problems with significant string buzzing. That aside, it was a nice sounding guitar, but I didnt want to pay an extra $50 to have my brand new guitar set up.

The AD60SC goes for about $300, and it has electronics and a built in tuner.

Its an Alvarez in name only. I have an Alvarez Yari from the early 80s.... nice guitar, but even its not a purebred. It was made in Japan, I think.
So- just a grain of salt.

Mumbus,
The set up thing doesn't bother me because I buy a lot of guitars of eBay and they all need set ups. I know what you mean though about a brand new one. Just out of curiocity, what did you buy instead?

My replacement just came today. I decided to go for the Takamine EG531SC. I ended up paying $410 all told for this one, but it included a nice hardshell case. The Alvarez did not.

For the most part, the two guitars look identical. The Alvarez was a little heavier which gave it a little more sustain.

I just tuned up and played the Takamine for a couple of minutes. It has a real nice tone, and there is absolutely zero fret buzzing. So far, I am happy with it.

I will get back to you if I find any issues.

Mumbus

For the record, my heart was stolen by a sweet Taylor at Guitar Center, but unfortunately my bank account didnt feel the same way. If I had my druthers, I would have bought the Taylor, but I think for now the Tak will have to do.

Back