alternatives to XP-80

Phosphene

Horse Diaper
I had a thought yesterday that my XP-80 is knida too much for me. I like the sounds and I have a few x cards for it, but it is so bigggg for my studio and heavy and honestly, the manual is a little hard to decipher. I can do basic things with it and I can use the sequencer alright (im not much of a keyboard guy). I don't use a computer to record, so I don't know if you would suggest one of those small keys with software. Are there any keyboards that are a little smaller (not xp-60, etc, haha) that are comparable and under $1000? I think I paid around that amount back in 2000 for mine. I don't know...I just thought I'd throw that out there to see what you guys thought.

How about one of the JV-series? The JV2080 has 8 expansion slots that would take the same cards. It's just a rack unit, but you seem to be mostly sequencing anyway. You can always get a controller keyboard if you need one.

I used to own a XP-80...loved it.

Now, I have a Motif 8, but also have a Roland XV-3080 module I use. Picked that up for about $300 on eBay not long ago. Something like that or another module paired with a controller might be an option for you. Are you thinking you want everything in one package, or would having a module connected to a keyboard be OK?

Maybe for just a synth with sounds, something more like this:
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=429

Only 61 keys, but will be lighter. I never found the XP-80 heavy really, but I was using it in my 20's :)

You could look into the Yamaha MM6:
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D544864,00.html

If you want to have the sequencing functionality (which the above will not provide for), not sure about under $1000 - at least new. You could look for Motif 6 on eBay, although I'm not sure how light those would be in comparison to the XP-80. I don't think a Yamaha manual will fare much better than the Roland one you have either.

Going the module with controller route might cut out sequencing ability as I'm not aware of modules that do sequencing. Definitely an option for you though.

I used to own a XP-80...loved it.

Now, I have a Motif 8, but also have a Roland XV-3080 module I use. Picked that up for about $300 on eBay not long ago. Something like that or another module paired with a controller might be an option for you. Are you thinking you want everything in one package, or would having a module connected to a keyboard be OK?

Maybe for just a synth with sounds, something more like this:
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=429

Only 61 keys, but will be lighter. I never found the XP-80 heavy really, but I was using it in my 20's :)

You could look into the Yamaha MM6:
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D544864,00.html

If you want to have the sequencing functionality (which the above will not provide for), not sure about under $1000 - at least new. You could look for Motif 6 on eBay, although I'm not sure how light those would be in comparison to the XP-80. I don't think a Yamaha manual will fare much better than the Roland one you have either.

Going the module with controller route might cut out sequencing ability as I'm not aware of modules that do sequencing. Definitely an option for you though.

Sorry, been very busy at work these past few days, working long hours.

I would probably like everything in one box. I'd like to check out the Juno sometime, though! What kinds of patches does it have? I tend to use more of the piano/strings/"real" instrument sounds. How do the patches stack up to the xp-80?

I think the XP-80 sounds lov-erly, but when I bought it, I thought I had to have the biggest one. Jeez. I shoulda got the XP-60, as it's exactly the same inside. I don't know if I would get rid of my xp-80 yet.....but i'm gonna go try and find some examples of your suggestions and tinker with em. I appreciate you guys for your input!

Sorry, been very busy at work these past few days, working long hours.

I would probably like everything in one box. I'd like to check out the Juno sometime, though! What kinds of patches does it have? I tend to use more of the piano/strings/"real" instrument sounds. How do the patches stack up to the xp-80?

I think the XP-80 sounds lov-erly, but when I bought it, I thought I had to have the biggest one. Jeez. I shoulda got the XP-60, as it's exactly the same inside. I don't know if I would get rid of my xp-80 yet.....but i'm gonna go try and find some examples of your suggestions and tinker with em. I appreciate you guys for your input!

No need to apologize, I was just giving you back a little of what you were givin' with the impatience thing. ;)

I do not own a Juno-D, but a guitar player (and sorta keyboard player) friend does, and I've tinkered with it. I think the sounds are pretty decent. It's price is good for what it does, and this is why I brought it up. That and it's lightweight.

The XP-80 is a cool machine though, and although it may seem difficult to use, you've got a nice expandable keyboard. If you intend to do any kind of sequencing and want all of this functionality on-board, I'm not aware of 61-key lighter synths with everything built-in that are in your price range - unless you buy used. Also, I don't think the complexity level will decrease and I say this thinking of the Yamaha Motif in particular.

XP-60 would have been a better choice weight wise and you might find one on eBay. I know the feeling of wanting the bigger, better synths. :D

I have the Juno G - awesome little box. It's pretty close to everything you need in a little box, with up to 2 minutes sampling also.

It's a different animal from the Juno D.

Back