Alternatives to the MIXED PRE

Martin Bo

Perphaps I should have asked in my earlier post, but are there good (and perphaps) cheaper alternatives to the Sound Devices Mixed PRE?

Kind regards,

MB

I'm thinking that your lack of responses on each post are due to a lack of clarification on what you plan to use these for. What is your current setup and what are you planning on using this device to record? Got a DAW already? (If not, Reaper is a good, cheap option that's touted around here) I've never had any experience with any Sound Devices gear so I can not give any advice other than to give more information so that others on here know more about the particulars of what you plan to do. ;)

I'm thinking that your lack of responses on each post are due to a lack of clarification on what you plan to use these for. What is your current setup and what are you planning on using this device to record? Got a DAW already? (If not, Reaper is a good, cheap option that's touted around here) I've never had any experience with any Sound Devices gear so I can not give any advice other than to give more information so that others on here know more about the particulars of what you plan to do. ;)

+1 with knobs on. Short answer, with reference to what MOST HR folks are doing or aspire to do is no. Have you read the manual for the device? If you have you will see that it is really just a 2 channel AI (of high but not "Prism" specc') with a lot of features that make it useful to the mobile, wildlife say, recordist but which are not really needed by most musicians.

There is definitely much better value out there. The bigger Focusrites, 2i4 and up. M-Audio and Roland. I think you could get two Tascam 1800s for that! The Native Instruments KA6 equals it for dynamic range.

One trick the SD AI has missed IMHO? In this day and age it should really have the capability to record straight to an SD card.

And! There is a new Steinberg coming along soon. 2 in 2 out, MIDI and "i" support but most interesting perhaps, on board DSP and likely around £160.
Dave.

Last edited:
And! There is a new Steinberg coming along soon. 2 in 2 out, MIDI and "i" support but most interesting perhaps, on board DSP and likely around £160.
Dave.
I actually just got an email from Steinberg this morning in regards to that new interface. It's on the market and it's listed at $200 here in the US. It's packed with quite a few nice features though, could be a really good option for the OP.

Back