Alternatives to Celestion Greenback.

MatchBookNotes

Hey all,
I'm looking to replace the no-name muddy ass speaker in my old traynor and was wondering if there are any other alternatives to the greenback from any of the large manufactures that I can order in at my local long and mcdonalds that i haven't considered? (under $150 preferably)
I'm looking for a good all around speaker, I don't really want something that is all sparkle no hmmph! y'know? I like to play the blues, classic rock, hard rock, punk, and some metal. I dislike using all those labels but i guess that's what gives you the idea...
thanks dudes
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Celestion-G12M25-Greenback-12-Speaker?sku=660250

Maybe Try a couple Jensen speakers....

http://www.jensentone.com/

My Guitaris replaced the celestions in his Marshal 4x12 with them and they sound awesome...I Don"t know what model speaker he got and they were a bit pricey but sound great....He plays an Active Les Paul through a Mesa Dual rec....

Cheers

not enough info to make anything more than a "canned" recommendation.

what amp? power output? general tonality? do you use modeling ro other processing?

what guitar? what pickups? do you play with hard attack? etc etc.

what *dont* you like about the greenback? it is generally hard to get a true "all-around" speaker for all of the styles you listed, at least partially because some of those sounds tend to either contain lots of speaker coloration and breakup (the generic "blues" label), or are very tight and uncolored (metal and perhaps jazz). if you like a squishy dirty blues tone, the ideal amp/speaker combo might not work so hot for scooped metal, and vice versa. i find the 25w greenback to be musical and colored, and with moderate breakup even at medium volumes...

there are lots and lots of killer guitar speakers for under $150 (in USD, anyway).

The Celestion T-75 or the V30 both work great for classic hard rock guitar tones. The Greenbacks have a very strange sound.

Pricey, but the Alnico Blues reportedly give you that 'out of body' experience.
If Heaven can wait then here's another vote for the T-75's.

not enough info to make anything more than a "canned" recommendation.

what amp? power output? general tonality? do you use modeling ro other processing?

what guitar? what pickups? do you play with hard attack? etc etc.

what *dont* you like about the greenback? it is generally hard to get a true "all-around" speaker for all of the styles you listed, at least partially because some of those sounds tend to either contain lots of speaker coloration and breakup (the generic "blues" label), or are very tight and uncolored (metal and perhaps jazz). if you like a squishy dirty blues tone, the ideal amp/speaker combo might not work so hot for scooped metal, and vice versa. i find the 25w greenback to be musical and colored, and with moderate breakup even at medium volumes...

there are lots and lots of killer guitar speakers for under $150 (in USD, anyway).

its either 20 or 25 watts traynor guitar mate 2. I use high output humbuckers and p90ies. I use single pedals.
I have never tried the greenpack, I'm quite ignorant, but i learn.
I really dig the sounds of: Rory Gallagher, Zep, Black Crowes, Dandy Warhols, White stripes, queens of the stoneage, neil young. I also like to interpret mr. cash from time to time. I don't really live in a place where i can crank the amp, its rediculously loud @ 3 in my house, shakes the walls.

its either 20 or 25 watts traynor guitar mate 2. I use high output humbuckers and p90ies. I use single pedals.
I have never tried the greenpack, I'm quite ignorant, but i learn.
I really dig the sounds of: Rory Gallagher, Zep, Black Crowes, Dandy Warhols, White stripes, queens of the stoneage, neil young. I also like to interpret mr. cash from time to time. I don't really live in a place where i can crank the amp, its rediculously loud @ 3 in my house, shakes the walls.

now we are talking. if i am not mistaken, your amp has a closed-back. in my opinion, the V30 excels in this kind of application. the closed-back will give you a lot more bottom with the V30 (as opposed to an open back, where the V30 can be a little shrill or honky), as will your choice of non-fender type guitars. the high efficiency of the V30 will most likely make your amp louder at a given volume setting then it is now, but i dont know what youve got currently. the greenback will give it up earlier, and may fart at full power, especially with the heavier sounds--- whether that is musical and sweet or farty and noisy is debatable.

you might try (or at least check out) speakers like eminence texas heat or screaming eagle (amongst others), maybe a G12H30 or classic lead as well.

hmm, the way the guy at long and mcquade explained it to me, its better to have a speaker close to the wattage of the amp so there would be more definition.
and eminence has an insanely high handling rating don't they?

hmm, the way the guy at long and mcquade explained it to me, its better to have a speaker close to the wattage of the amp so there would be more definition.
and eminence has an insanely high handling rating don't they?

well.... the thermal power rating really doesnt have a whole lot to do with the tonality or volume of a speaker (well, within reason). efficiency is a good indicator, however (even though the 1k tone at 1 watt and 1 meter isnt really comparable to what we would get in real-world performance....... another can of worms though). so, the greenback has an "efficiency" of 97dB, whereas the V30 is rated at 100dB. the texas heat is rated 99dB and the screaming eagle a blistering 101dB. the greenback puts out lower SPL than any of those. to me, "definition" is a pretty subjective descriptor of tonality. incidentally, i personally would describe the texas heat as a speaker that exhibits nice "definition". i have one in a 90's ampeg reverberocket combo (40-ish watts), and it works great in there. the fat bottom end is great for "big" tones, and the "sting on top" keeps it articulate. the speaker is clean and defined. its thermal power rating is 150 watts rms.

just saw yer post.

wanted to offer that the weber signature 8" speakers are quite good. ive owned 3; both versions of the alnico and smooth-coned ceramic. each worked very well in its application (all low powered tube amps like a 73 champ amp).
i always wanted to try the signature 12" as well, particularly the 12B. seems like the sleeper deal for a most-purpose replacement speaker. they tend to get sort of lukewarm reviews on the 'net, though.

hmm. just noticed they are offering 15% off all speakers. even cheaper for you to find out. which one are you thinking about? do post your review.

well apparently I couldn't get weber, so I just went with the greenback.
150 cad later.

still I am paying cheaper for this amp than I would have for a new one.
279 with new tubes
69 for cap replacement
150 for speaker
____
$498

Is there any amp readily available that I could spend that on and have it be just as good if not better?

Ted doesn't ship to Canada? I just bought some speakers from him and they showed up in about 10 days - pretty quick considering they are supposedly built to order.

I have a 2x12 with G12H30's in it. Lower power speakers. I love it with my Univalve and right up the alley for blues and classic rock stuff. IMHO a little better bass response the V30's and little more rich sounding. Price wise I'm affraid not any cheaper.

Back