alternative types of bass guitar strings?

stonepiano

Hey all,

What kinds of bass strings are there for a P-bass other than the standard metal round wound ones?

I was talking to a bassist a few weeks ago and he said he uses nylon strings. I saw it and they looked black, not metallic.

Is this right? Anybody got any links to where I might buy these?

They are still metal, they have a nylon winding. They still have to be metal or they wouldn't work with the pickups, which are magnetic. A lot of companies call them tapewound.

Here is one link, and your local store can probly get them

Tapewounds

Rotosound also make black nylon covered tapewounds. Nice dead sound, if that's what you want. I have a set on my old fretless which my daughter has now. Quick google got me this:

http://www.bigcitystring.com/rotosbtb.htm

A halfway house would be flatwound, not as bright as round wound, I like these on my new fretless.

It's all up to taste but I hate those black nylon covered strings. Usually they are round wounds covered with nylon ......... but they are so dead sounding to me. Just a thump actually. I feel the same way about tapewounds too. Yet another possibility would be half rounds where they take a round wound and polish it down to where the surface is flat. Gets rid of the squeaks but is still bright and ringy like roundwounds.

You could try TI Jazz Flats. Bright and low tension, with a string life numbered in the years rather than weeks. I use them on my Lightwave to moderate the growl.
Also Maxima/Optima Golds. Like round wound string, just gold plated. Sound between steel and nickle. I use them on my Orion and Jazz.

Lt. Bob said:
they are so dead sounding to me. Just a thump actually. I feel the same way about tapewounds too.

well, to be honest, I was playing with a new band for the 1st time and the bassist seemed to sound less intrusive with these tapewounds. Dead sounding yes, but as a compliment! :)

Less squeaky and more subtle. That's why I liked it. I want bass to be present but not overpowering. At least, I'd like to have that option.

You might try GHS Brite Flats. Round wound, then flattened. A compromise between REAL ROUND and REAL FLAT. I use 'em on my bass.

I found some of the best bass strings on the planet! These strings are the "Zeus 4 Mk1 Bass Stringers". They are custom made to fit a bass guitar. The strings are first put onto a "test" bass guitar and played (by a pro) for 72 hours. Usually the pro will do a few shows or studio work. Then, the "Zeus 4 Mk1 Bass Stringers" are removed from the bass and boiled for 1 hour. Then they are cryogenically frozen to "temper" the metal.

The strings are then repackeged and ready for sale to the lucky few who know about the sheer quality. They do go for $59.99, but are worth every penny. Look at the work that goes into every set!

Micsales said:
I found some of the best bass strings on the planet! These strings are the "Zeus 4 Mk1 Bass Stringers". They are custom made to fit a bass guitar. The strings are first put onto a "test" bass guitar and played (by a pro) for 72 hours. Usually the pro will do a few shows or studio work. Then, the "Zeus 4 Mk1 Bass Stringers" are removed from the bass and boiled for 1 hour. Then they are cryogenically frozen to "temper" the metal.

The strings are then repackeged and ready for sale to the lucky few who know about the sheer quality. They do go for $59.99, but are worth every penny. Look at the work that goes into every set!
GEEZ ....... what an asshole. Along with your stupid post about "stand by" on tube amps ........ this ranks you with the most moronic posters I've ever seen.

Don't be so hasty, LtBob. I have some bass strings that have been perfectly broken in by one of the best bass players on the planet (me) for 144 hours! And for only $299 [+ shipping] they can be yours!

Place your orders in time for me to log in the 144 hours in the top studio (in my converted garage) in E Texas. I don't want anyone disappointed when they get a set that have been played for maybe only 90-100 hours. But rest assured that there will be no skimping of the special cyronic processing in my fridge. Oh yeah, and I boil them first, even though some people claim it's better to freeze 'em, then boil 'em. Dispassionate research indicates those person are full of unregurgitated -- well, in the spirit of scientific debate I can't say what they are full of. But trust me, they are.

I hear that putting a little drop of olive oil in the water helps make them not stick together.
Also, put a few bay leaves in there to really add a little something extra. :D :D

I've discovered recently that leaving the strings off altogether does wonders for the sound of my bass playing. Which is exceeded in scariness only by stonepiano's avatar:)

Garry Sharp said:
I've discovered recently that leaving the strings off altogether does wonders for the sound of my bass playing. Which is exceeded in scariness only by stonepiano's avatar:)

oh, it's scary alright! I'm here to frighten people with images of myself crosseyed wearing harry potter specs!

Back