Alternative to studio foam, but what is it called and how do you build them?

Prism

I visited a studio last year, and instead of foam in the recording room, they had what looked like curved, white panels on the walls for letting stray sounds get dispersed. The engineer told me that they had built them by themselves, but I don't know what they were called or what they wre made out of... any experts know what I'm talking about?

Isaiah

LOL...no it wasn't egg cartons.
I get the feeling they may be called "panel absorbers" but I honestly have no clue. I could draw a picture if you wanted me to.

Isaiah

Prism said:
LOL...no it wasn't egg cartons.
I get the feeling they may be called "panel absorbers" but I honestly have no clue. I could draw a picture if you wanted me to.

Isaiah

THey are called diffusers or dispersers. Basically, they are curved reflectors that take the sound reflecting off the back of the wall, and reflect its more spread out going back, rather than a straight echo. This, if done right for the particular room, will result in a lot of cancellation of waveforms behind the engineer/producer and thus reduce standing waves in the room. Its one of many methods of acoustical management in a given room. They are tough to build correctly, and tuned for the room, I must say.

Thanks, frederic... I guess it would have been easier just to call my friend at the studio, hm? :D

Isaiah

Could be :) I can assure you I've rarely reinvented the wheel when it comes to studio acoustics. I copy what others do that works. Of course room sizes and materials used does affect reflections and such, so there is a reasonable level of tuning involved, but that in itself is not too difficult. A real time analyzer EQ type of thing that comes with a microphone will allow you to visually see more or less the strength and weaknesses of the room.

Case in point - a friend of mine who built a very nice studio out of a 2-car garage, the garage loft, and the "mud room" next to the garage, ended up coating his walls with velcro. Then, he can move the foam, reflective things etc, all around the room as he changes things. Of course, getting a nice setup and leaving it where it is would be less work, but he constantly makes the room smaller with more gear. E-bay addict he is :)

Anyway, hope I helped :)

Prism said:
Thanks, frederic... I guess it would have been easier just to call my friend at the studio, hm? :D

Isaiah

Back