Alt Country Client Mix 1

Two things struck me in the 1st couple of seconds:
1. The panning of the intro seemed a little odd - heavily one sided until the 2nd guitar came in - I'd be seriously tempted to put the organ in dead center.
2. The bass needs some defiinition.
I can hear why you're into them - the arrangement & instrumentation is great & you've captured it well. I like that effected b/vocal too.
This is a great song & a terrific performance you've captured.

Keep in mind I have never recorded or mixed any form of country music. Nor do I listen to it. But I felt like listening to this one for whatever reason. :p

I do think you have a pretty good mix so far. The tracks all sound like good quality tracks.

I hear too much auto-tune at parts. Unless he's terribly off, I'd lighten the auto tune a lot. Especially the speed at which the auto tune reacts.

The vocals sound like they have too much low-mids. I would cut something around 300-400hz a bit. He sounds like he's singing with cotton balls tucked in his cheeks.

The steel lap guitar sounds too loud during the 1st chorus. And in general it seems a little overbearing. (this could be my lack of country listening)

I would pan the guitar solo toward the center.

It sounds like the very end of the song you begin the fadeout during the climax of the song. Either that or something is missing and it sounds smaller than it should.​

That's a good song, and I LOVE alt-country - Dude, just for grins, you might try bringing up the pedal steel. I heard it ok in the intro, but you can bring it more into the genre by using that thing for fills wherever possible.

Another completely fun thing to do would be trying to run the pedal steel through a distortion plug later in the tune...nothing says "alt country" like a distorted pedal steel. :D

You obviously know what you're doing, so I'll save the nits...just trying to give you some (probably unwanted) production thoughts.

The vocal's so clean and well recorded that it almost turns me off, LOL...but I realize that's an absurd comment. I want something weird like a 50's slapback echo, but it's probably absurd.

I would love playing around with these tracks.

Really nice job...they've gotta' be happy.

This is not an Alt-Country tune....not matter how much pedal steel is in there...that said.......its still a cool tune and I can't really comment anymore on what has already been said.....Nice work, great tune:D

Back